Sound System inheritance, what do you think?
Aug 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hazertag

New Head-Fier
I recently inherited a complete soundsystem via my girlfriends parents downsizing. Hasnt been used in years but it's now plugged in and working. I'm curious how to make sure I'm getting the most out of what I have.  Any universal tweaks/adjustments I need to look into?

Speakers: Kef Coda 7 bookshelfs
Turntable: Hitachi HT-21 (early 90's?)
Cartridge: RM05 (dont know how to tell this exactly but this is what it says on the top?)
Amp: Yamaha RX360 (older model, probably 2000 or so.)

Just looking to get some basic opinions.  I dont expect this setup to be anything spectacular, but its something to play my expanding vinyl collection on! Also any rec's on first upgrades?

One question right away is...how much does stacking a turntable ontop of an amp REALLY affect the sound?  At this point I'm not worried about the finer nuances, mainly just looking for a good console table.  So if it is really detrimental to the sound, Ill get a bigger table.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to this ever evolving process!

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Stacking a turntable on top of an amp is a BAD idea because amps need to ventilate out the top. You might shorten the life of the amp.

Sounds like a nice setup. Do you have a DAC to connect your computer to the receiver?

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Can anyone provide some more color commentary on the setup? 

I also have a newer Yamaha RX360, but with no Phono inputs.  Anyone know if I might be better off using this one with a phono preamp?

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Hazertag-Kef Coda 11/111 speakers believe it or not get Best BUY write up in one of my hi-fi  choice year books-Speaker scored very well on all listening tests -10W RMS to 100W RMS FR-+/- 3DB 62Hz to 18kHz 88.5 db/W . There's a lot more but you get the picture -they are good speakers.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Great, thanks!  I still need to do my basic adjustments (vertical tracking, anti-skate etc.) but i cant find the TT manual anywhere online so I dont know how to set the counterweight.

I did have to replace the belt, and the TT seems to be running a few beats slow...any ideas there? I figured belt installation was pretty straightforward...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back