Sound system component help!
Nov 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ArthurShou

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

Recently, I've been trying to set up my first great sound system (coming from cheap, generic speakers/earbuds). I thought that I only needed a good headphone, but now realize there is a lot more components to a good sound system. I was wondering if you guys could help explain the things I would need.

First, what I am trying to get is a sound system that is great for listening to classical music, but of course good in general for movies and such. Regarding the headphone, I'm looking at a AKG Q701. If my music is on a laptop, what else do I need? What is a DAC and do I need it? What is a soundcard and do I need it? What would be a compatible amp for the Q701 for classical? Is there anything else I should consider? Finally, would all this expensive equipment be wasted on high-quality Spotify downloads? I hope to build up a FLAC library in the future, but won't have time for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hello all!

Recently, I've been trying to set up my first great sound system (coming from cheap, generic speakers/earbuds). I thought that I only needed a good headphone, but now realize there is a lot more components to a good sound system. I was wondering if you guys could help explain the things I would need.

First, what I am trying to get is a sound system that is great for listening to classical music, but of course good in general for movies and such.
  • Regarding the headphone, I'm looking at a AKG Q701.
  • If my music is on a laptop, what else do I need?
  • What is a DAC and do I need it?
  • What is a soundcard and do I need it?
  • What would be a compatible amp for the Q701 for classical?
  • Is there anything else I should consider?
  • Finally, would all this expensive equipment be wasted on high-quality Spotify downloads?
I hope to build up a FLAC library in the future, but won't have time for the time being.

Thanks in advance!

• The Q701 will suit you well for classical.
  • If you're going to play it out of your laptop, you will need a better DAC and an amp.
  • DAC = Digital-to-Analog converter. Basically the one that translates the digital data from your audio files into sound for the headphones to play. You will need one since most laptops have crappy DACs.
  • A soundcard can be either internal or external. Internal soundcards are for desktop PC only (since you have a laptop, this doesn't apply to you). External soundcards work for either laptops or PCs, and work just like a regular amp in the end.
  • I'm not very experienced with amps, but a warm-ish amp like a tube amp (Schiit Vali?) might work.
  • Nothing else other than your music files, since we proetty much covered eveyrthing you will need.
  • If by high-quality you mean 320kbps Spotify downloads, you won't waste anything. Just don't play anything lower like 192 or 128 kbps files on that Q701 or you will hear every flaw.

Also, what is your budget? Is it going to be a stationary rig or something you can bring around the house? If you're going stationary, the Schiit Vali/Modi stack will run you about $250, and I heard a lot of great things about that kit. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you so much! That was very very helpful. My budget is not fixed, I am just looking for a compatible system for the best price. Because I'm just starting to build a system, the issue is that I don't know to what level of detail I'm looking for. I'll have to figure that out in the coming weeks, hopefully having a listen on some good sound systems.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back