Sound Signature Of Ultra Micro Amp/Dac
Apr 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ALL EARS

Head-Fier
My next purchase is a Dac/Amp and i am looking to buy HeadRooms Ultra Dac/Amp what is the sound signature of this Amp/Dac? Source will be a mac G4 laptop, iem's SE530, and either
HD800, Ultrasone Edition9, all
reply's will help in making my decision thanks for your time,
ALL EARS.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 3
The sound signature is really what you want it to be.
I am no so good in describing sound signatures, but all i can say is that i also have the ultra micro stack (i am listening to it as i write this) and it really depende on your headphones. it's warm when the recording calls for it and cold as ice when needed. with the grados i feel like i am in the concert's first raw sitting next to the amplifier and with the denons i feel like i am floating in space with all my electrical music.
wink_face.gif

simply AMAZING!

May 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 3
IMO, if you settle on the UltraMicro Stack, you'd have made a great choice and can't go wrong. I currently use it with my HD650's/cardas, and I'm deeply impressed with the stack. My upgrade path was quite gradual where I started with a Fubar III, then a (SpitFire DAC with HeadRoom MicroAmp) Combo. The sound signature along the way has been remarkably similar, but with each upgrade I've been greeted with more sound detail and separation, especially with regard to base response.

My only misgiving is the 1/8" connector for the headphones, clearly a tradeoff for the compact nature of the stack. You have to use an adaptor with a pair of high level cans, and I strongly suggest the Cardas 1/4 to 1/8" adaptor. However, this may well be offset by the increased flexibility with having the DAC and Amp separate.

I hope that you'll not mince with the powersupply and upgrade that from the stock supplier. That improves the sound considerably when listening to the better and more dynamic recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back