Sound signature of ESW9
Nov 23, 2008 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sidtai

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, currently the only headphones I have is a pair of sennheiser HD 25-1 headphones. I am happy with the overall sound, but I feel like I'm missing a little bit of details in the mids and the highs.

I have done a little bit of researching and have narrowed down to two choices for the upgrade: Ultrasone HFI-680/780 or the AT ESW9, both of which, I heard, has more details than HD 25-1. I have heard the 780 and I think its sound signature is quite close to what I'm looking for, but what I don't really like is the distant representation of sound. It sounds different from my HD 25-1, which puts me inside the studio with the musicians, instead of a few meters away. I'm not sure if its about the S-logic thing in the ultrasones.

I won't be able to audition the ESW9 because the only store that carries it in America is Audiocubes, and I'm currently living in California. I have heard its little brother, ES7, though. It has the forward presentation that I like in the HD 25-1, but I can't stand the weird coloration of mids. It makes the guitars sound, literally, weird.

So the question is, does the ESW9 have a forward presentation? and do you think it would suit me in terms of its overall sound?

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Edit: oops sorry I read the wrong way
smily_headphones1.gif
I though you meant the 780 were distant.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidtai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard its little brother, ES7, though. It has the forward presentation that I like in the HD 25-1, but I can't stand the weird coloration of mids. It makes the guitars sound, literally, weird.

So the question is, does the ESW9 have a forward presentation? and do you think it would suit me in terms of its overall sound?

Yep. ESW9 has a forward presentaion. They are also warmish, have the ATH house sound, are a good blend of "fun and exciting" with being easy litening and non fatiguing. I can't compare them to either ES7 or HD25-1 as I haven't heard either. They are an excellent headphone and as good as you can get in a semi portable, probably eclipsed by the ESW10 by all reports.

Can't go wrong with the semi small Audio Technica woody.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 11
sidtai, the Ultrasone HFI-780 are not IMO distant. If anything they have an in your face presentation.

Maybe you could post on the Meet Forum and ask to meet w/ an ESW9 owner close to you to audition it. Spending that kind of money "blindly" can get expensive.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 11
I found the sound signature of the ES7 and ESW9 to be very similar, with the ESW9 just adding a bit extra in every range of the signature. The ESW9's felt a bit smoother, but its obvious they come from the same lineage.

If you didn't like the ESW9 mids, its likely you won't like them on the ESW9 either. They blend in a bit more, but are still very present.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for all the inputs. I don't mean that the ultrasones are very distant, just relative to my HD 25-1. I have heard more distant headphones in stores. I can turn the ultrasones up loud and it feels less distant, but damaging my ears is not what I want to do.

Kernmac: What do you mean by the AT house sound? Does the A700 has the "AT house sound"? I don't like the A700 at all, that I put them down after less than 30 seconds of listening. These are what I call quite distant.

aphexii: Oh, they both have similar (honky? snarly?) mids? That kinda steering me away from the ESW9. =\

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 11
I have both the HD25 and ESW9. I much prefer the sound of the ESW9's. They don't isolate much at all though... but yeah, the bass is nice and full without being overpowering, the mids are fine and I find the treble to simply shine... Plenty of detail

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 11
psyllium: Isolation isn't much of a problem to me because I already have HD 25-1 which isolates really well for portable usage. Btw from your sig I saw that you own the D1001 as well. How does the ESW9 compare to the denons in terms of sound signature? I am sure the ESW9 will definitely have a lot more detail, as it is 2.5 times more expensive than the denons. But how about sound signature?

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 11
I've owned all three mentioned cans (HD25-1, ESW9 & 780). Can finger exactly what I didn't like about ESW9 (been a while since I had them), but sold it because I preferred the HD25-1.

The 780 is a step above both in SQ, maybe even 2 steps, and a whole lot less $ than the ridiculously priced ESW9 (especially if you order from Northern Sound & Light).

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidtai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
psyllium: Isolation isn't much of a problem to me because I already have HD 25-1 which isolates really well for portable usage. Btw from your sig I saw that you own the D1001 as well. How does the ESW9 compare to the denons in terms of sound signature? I am sure the ESW9 will definitely have a lot more detail, as it is 2.5 times more expensive than the denons. But how about sound signature?

In my opinion they both have a similar sound signature, but the ESW9 has clearer treble. The Denons probably have a bit louder bass, but the AT's seem to provide a better quality of bass - a bit more balanced. The D1001 are a lot more comfortable though, for me at least, as I wear glasses. I still use the D1001 when my ears get tired of the ESW9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back