Sound signature of CORDA PREHEAD MkII?
Jul 16, 2006 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lcp12345

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a new amp for my MPRO. I am considering the CORDA PREHEAD MkII and GS-1. I have a corda aria and like it. Hence, I am considering the top model of Meier. Does it sound similar to Aria? How about the sound signature of GS1 then? Also, I have a SA5000 as well. Which one is best for it?

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 11
I have Prehead MKII, but I don't have experience another Meier products or GS1. My option is, Prehead is very versatile amp and it's works very well with my phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you must read this: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38013

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 11
I've heard demo units of the Prehead MkII SE, HA-2 MkII SE and Corda Aria, and have been very impressed with the Meier Audio amps. I don't think the Prehead MkII SE and Aria sound similar.

Depending on the headphones used, the Aria seems more punchy with somewhat exaggerated bass that has less detail and texture. It is less smooth-sounding and can be more fatiguing over time.

The Prehead MkII SE has more details, better imaging, a more balanced tonality and is overall a superior amp. Its dual high and low impedance headphone ports allows use of many headphones. The tone controls are subtle. I liked the Prehead MkII SE very much with the K701, HD650, DT990-'06 and Grado RS-1. It's also good with the L3000 and W2002, although the Sugden Headmaster and AT-HA5000 are tough competition.The Prehead is a versatile amp that can drive many headphones very well.

I want one...maybe a future MkIII with XLR inputs?
tongue.gif

Here's the Prehead MkII SE in action, along with some other gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

(Sorry, crappy camera phone photo)
07-14-06_1753.jpg

Jul 17, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 11
I have never heard the Prehead, but the HA-2 Mk II SE is a better amp than the Aria in every way IMO. This is not to take away from the Aria, it's a great amp for the money when you include the DAC. But the HA-2 MkII SE is more transparent, smoother, more detailed, and has better bass definition.

Do you need multiple inputs? If not, you should consider the HA-2 Mk II SE instead of the Pre-Head. Jan Meier has said that if anything, the HA-2 IISE is maybe just slightly better. Not as many bells and whistles, but it's less expensive.

I truly love my HA-2 II/SE. I had a Headroom Maxed Out Home before, and the Meier is much better. I have never had a desire to upgrade or replace it, and it's the only amp I feel or have ever felt that way about.

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I have never heard the Prehead, but the HA-2 Mk II SE is a better amp than the Aria in every way IMO. This is not to take away from the Aria, it's a great amp for the money when you include the DAC. But the HA-2 MkII SE is more transparent, smoother, more detailed, and has better bass definition.

Do you need multiple inputs? If not, you should consider the HA-2 Mk II SE instead of the Pre-Head. Jan Meier has said that if anything, the HA-2 IISE is maybe just slightly better. Not as many bells and whistles, but it's less expensive.

I truly love my HA-2 II/SE. I had a Headroom Maxed Out Home before, and the Meier is much better. I have never had a desire to upgrade or replace it, and it's the only amp I feel or have ever felt that way about.

I do not need multi input. Maybe, I can email Jan Meier for my decision.

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcp12345
I do not need multi input. Maybe, I can email Jan Meier for my decision.

I suggest doing this. I could be wrong, but I suspect that if you do not need the multiple inputs then Jan will advise you to get the HA-2 MkII SE.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 11
I have had the pleasure of borrowing a prehead mkII se from todd's loaner program and have thoroughly enjoyed it, unfortunately I need to send it back soon. I don;t have a single qualm with the sound quality, its very neutral, balanced, and transparent. I think the prehead has some of the best highs you'll hear from a solid state, its extension is ridiculous, while retaining smoothness and sounding graceful. Overall its a very liquid sound, coherent and balanced, and matches well with my G08 and grado hp-1000's and hd600's. Refined and graceful are all I can say about the prehead and the other meier amps i have heard, ha-II and aria.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks all for your impression of HAII.

Is there any user pairing there MSPRO with GS-1. It looks good from review of GS-1 as well. I think I like more detail and bright sound but not harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back