Sound set up for my brother
Jan 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sunnycnm5

New Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of hi fidelity headphones (mainly due to this forum!), which got my brother to start gaining interest in improving his sound setup.

My brother is a music producer; I can't really describe what he does other than making "beats" with various instruments, and producing hip hop instrumentals and songs.

This is in addition to listening to lots of music (from Rap, to Jazz to rock etc.)

I'm not sure whats best, IEM, headphones, speakers or whatnot. (if this is in the wrong forum, please movie it)

As of now, he uses cheap altec lansing computer speakers, and 40 dollar skullcandy headphones.

He wants to spend around 100-150, but willing to pay more/less depending on how much of an upgrade it is.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 9
SRH 840, ATH M50, RP21....

Not much else unless there's an extended budget. Like $200+

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Your brother is a music producer and he uses cheap altec lansing computer speakers, and 40 dollar skullcandy headphones?????
confused_face.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 9
AKG K271S (or one of it's brothers like K272HD etc) is an option for a good comfortable neutral detailed cheapish headphone. but if he is serious about his hobby(?) he should up his budget and get some serious gear like decent near-field speakers.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 9
The Shure 840 should do pretty well. The Audio Technica M50 may be worth looking at but I'm not sure how much of a reference can it is.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 9
For music production, I'd go with a decent set of studio monitors. He'd have to up the budget quite a bit though. Typically, when I master on headphones, I notice that it sounds WAYYYY too bass heavy on other systems (over time I learned to compensate for that, but it took a while). Most important thing is to know your setup, and test your finished tracks on multiple rigs to get a general idea of where your headphones/speakers/whatever are at and master according to that. You'd be surprised at what some people get with crappy equipment mainly because they know the strengths and weaknesses of their gear.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Keep in mind that producing with anything other than neutral equipment will make the music turn out different than you expected. For example, if you use bass heavy phones to mix, your tracks will come out with far less bass than you intended. You should also keep in mind that neutral cans may not be as involving for your brother (ie. will seem bass-light coming from Skull Candies) as he would like for when he simply uses them to listen to music when not producing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back