Sound Rhyme impression thread
Sep 27, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #2,041 of 2,541
Nicely summarised. Is the Penon Space providing a decent dynamics? Do you totally recommend it?

Two things which I totally agree.

1. SR8 somehow does not go well with other cables. Tried some high end cables (PWAudio 1950s with shield and FTS) but not much improvement. I should have paired it with a good silver cable to see the difference but there were none. I assume the default cable is one of the best options.

2. SR8 somehow doesn’t respond much to EQ. I spent quite some time doing EQ, increasing the mid-bass a bit but didn’t help much. The default signature is so good that it’s just unnecessary to go for any eq.

Thanks for the info. Let me add some of my points into this:

1. Cables - I have not tried many but the stock cable is definitely great one. It has been longer since I directly compared them so I did this again just now. The Space cable is definitely an improvement. It adds more weight to the sound, it all sounds fuller and wider. There is an improvement in bass region for sure. Overall sound is just higher quality. I don't like testing too many cables as I am worried about the socket's durability. The Space definitely stays on SR8. Might test some more expensive cables on them but that will be in near future. My SoundRhyme cable ended up on the KZ ZS10 Pro and it made a nice improvement on them, using those for travel.

2. Note sure, what EQ tool are you using? Is it on the dap, mobile or desktop setup? I am using APO Equalizer with Peace interface addon. It can definitely alter any headphones, any frequencies with ease. In terms of bass using the Space cable and minimum EQ settings the bass is more than enough for me. Strangely enough for full BA set these have fantastic bass texture and that is something I really like as that's the reason why D7200 are my default cans. I do like great mid-bass too but as you can see on my EQ settings bellow in that region I am not adding anything as I feel its just right in there.

But also to improve the bass... not sure what tips are you using but try to experiment with those. I use foam tips on everything, i like their isolation and comfort.
Once you have the tips sorted then make sure you are using high quality recordings and I forgot to say before SR8 are highly dependent on record's quality. If you play something old school like or in lower resolution then SR8 sounds very ordinary. On the other side play some audiophile recordings in lossless quality and they will totally amaze and bring a lot of emotions.

I assume that you have tried different switch settings, I ended up using 1-1, they sound the best to my ears.

Adding my EQ settings for SR8:

1695817316175.png

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,042 of 2,541
got my DTE900 today and man these are huge shells; you should really take that into consideration before purchase;
it's good to own plenty of tips because I had to use smallest Tenmak to get good fit (however I'm not sure if that would be comfy after some hours)

right now they are 'burning' so will start listening sessions soon because also today I received Ares 12th-1

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #2,044 of 2,541
DTE900 finally came. Shell fits perfectly. Small ear tips fit well. Listened to Garbage (band), Texas, Lene Marlin, Terminator soundtrack- disco scene tracks, Ott- The Aubergine of The Sun. All sounded just so. Then Astrix, DJ Marky, Shy Fx. Threw the fastest trance and DnB tracks I have at these earphones and I they didn’t break a sweat. In fact, closing my eyes, I think I saw two middle fingers paired in my direction.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #2,045 of 2,541
I love my sr8, such a fantastic enjoyable set.

IMG_0899.jpeg
The synergy between the R6 Pro II and the SR8 is really amazing.

Enjoying it every single day:

1695940351690.png

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,046 of 2,541
Quite a while now with the SR8s battling among other TOTLs that I own, very impressed with how the SR8 is performing, smooth but still highly detailed with strong note weight, quite a hidden gem of tuning this is.

Now the SR8s is heading to my local reshelling shop to be checked, to see whether that it can be made into a ciem! Wish me luck!

Sep 29, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,047 of 2,541
Quite a while now with the SR8s battling among other TOTLs that I own, very impressed with how the SR8 is performing, smooth but still highly detailed with strong note weight, quite a hidden gem of tuning this is.

Now the SR8s is heading to my local reshelling shop to be checked, to see whether that it can be made into a ciem! Wish me luck!

How would you compare 64Audio U12T vs SR8? Im interested

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #2,048 of 2,541
How would you compare 64Audio U12T vs SR8? Im interested

I sold the u12t quite a while ago, from my distant memory I would recall the u12t to be darker but that could be due to the placement of some instruments/vocal having more depth than the SR8 which could be taken as either less prominent or having better depth depending on the listener's preferences, the SR8's presentation are quite upfront and is wider than the U12T. Despite the U12T overall sounding darker it actually has sharper highs depending on the chosen genre, so the U12T sounded darker but sharper in the highs which is very weird, but that is how I remember the U12T, my memory is getting blurry now........please do take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #2,049 of 2,541
I am into my DTE900 for almost two weeks now. Went for a custom one. As I missed the looks of my AüR Aure a bit I chose clear green shells :)
20230923_141816.jpg

I do agree with most other owners that the DTE900 is a very capable and satisfying IEM. I already like it as much as my favourites the AüR NP and the Butastur...

Compared to the latter it has a more straightforward sound signature with a nice little extra slice of (fast) bass but is - if at all - only slightly behind in detail retrieval. A very fun set and maybe the best allrounder of the three mentioned matching all genres I have thrown at it so far, being it Rock, Electronic, Classical or Jazz. Interestingly enough it does do Jazz and Classical as good as the Butastur imo. What distinguishes the two from each other is the - for me - unmatched airyness of the Butastur and it's untiring comfort over hours of listening to it.

Have not directly compared it to the NP yet. But from memory these should sound quite similar with the DTE900 maybe having a slightly larger soundstage.

First used the SR with a copper/graphene mix cable but today I rolled cables and now try it with my Penon Totem. Not decided yet which one I prefer...
20231001_163450.jpg

All in all another keeper in my book...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #2,050 of 2,541
keeper in my book...
Sorry that my question isn't in the topic.
I understand this meaning - only from content. But what does it mean literally? What is a book and what does it keeping?
Sorry again.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2,051 of 2,541
Oct 3, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #2,054 of 2,541
Oct 6, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #2,055 of 2,541
I've been trying a few more cables on the DTE900 and I'm really liking the Effect Audio Eros S. On the 900's this cable is really good! making the overall sound fuller, mids more prominent and super textured, and treble sparkling without glare. The sub-bass is slightly reduced and maybe not as tight but it's hard to tell on the 900's with both switches on :) I'm liking this combo more than other cables I've tried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back