Sound Rhyme impression thread
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,026 of 2,541
Did you try Sound Rhyme SR5 once? They weren't comfortable for my ears. Their shape look similar to DTE900, but maybe they aren't exactly the same shape?
No, I'm sorry. It's my first SR.
Looking at the photos of the SR5 they do seem to have a similar shape. Maybe @ToneDeafMonk have tried both.

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #2,028 of 2,541
Thanks. Great, so no need to be concerned with cables it seems, and if the ear tips work a treat too, yahtzee!

Did you try Sound Rhyme SR5 once? They weren't comfortable for my ears. Their shape look similar to DTE900, but maybe they aren't exactly the same shape?

The shapes are similar. However, the DTE900 shell is bigger with a longer nozzle, which was the issue for me.

The SR5 fits perfectly for me, but for the DTE900, I had to do a lot of tip rolling to find one that gave me a deep fit and a good seal that didn't cause discomfort.

I use medium or large sized tips for most of my IEMs, but I had to go down to a small for the DTE900. I have the Tangzu Tang Sancais for both the SR5 (medium) and DTE900 (small). Now, I'd like to try the new Divinus Velvet tips in small since they're even shorter in length.

1695494760319.png

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #2,029 of 2,541
The shapes are similar. However, the DTE900 shell is bigger with a longer nozzle, which was the issue for me.

The SR5 fits perfectly for me, but for the DTE900, I had to do a lot of tip rolling to find one that gave me a deep fit and a good seal that didn't cause discomfort.

I use medium or large sized tips for most of my IEMs, but I had to go down to a small for the DTE900. I have the Tangzu Tang Sancais for both the SR5 (medium) and DTE900 (small). Now, I'd like to try the new Divinus Velvet tips in small since they're even shorter in length.

1695494760319.png

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #2,030 of 2,541

What a brilliant sounding pair! Such a great treat to ears. So easy on pockets. Enjoyable from the first time you put these in your ears. How are they tuning these iems!
I love my sr8, such a fantastic enjoyable set.

IMG_0899.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #2,031 of 2,541
I love my sr8, such a fantastic enjoyable set.
20230924_084356.jpg

I completely agree, I love the sound of the SR8, it's very cozy, it doesn't get boring easily, a well-developed stage and nothing "bright", it's the type of sound that impresses at first, but over time you'll notice the details it delivers, without being tiring, like a UM Mest MK2 which ends up becoming boring over time, it's no wonder that there are several MK2 for sale on the used market.

An important caveat to the Sound Rhyme SR8 is its extremely low impedance, it only pairs well with high quality sources with very low impedance, as is the case with my Shanling M7, both have an incredible and tireless synergy.

I also recommend a high purity silver cable and TANGZU SANCAI tips.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #2,032 of 2,541

I completely agree, I love the sound of the SR8, it's very cozy, it doesn't get boring easily, a well-developed stage and nothing "bright", it's the type of sound that impresses at first, but over time you'll notice the details it delivers, without being tiring, like a UM Mest MK2 which ends up becoming boring over time, it's no wonder that there are several MK2 for sale on the used market.

An important caveat to the Sound Rhyme SR8 is its extremely low impedance, it only pairs well with high quality sources with very low impedance, as is the case with my Shanling M7, both have an incredible and tireless synergy.

I also recommend a high purity silver cable and TANGZU SANCAI tips.

I agree with impedance, I just use SE 3.5mm with the SR8, it really doesn’t need balanced. I can actually hear some hiss on my R6Pro2 using balanced on my SR8, due to the really low impedance and high sensitivity.

I actually have a high purity pure silver Hakugei cable on the way. It’s my most expensive cable to date, with custom injection moulded angled connectors. Unfortunately it’s taking forever to arrive.

I have the tangzu sancai tips, but I prefer the Sedna Earfit lights (long stemmed) as they give me a deeper secure fit from the wide stubby nozzle the SR8 has. I also feel that wide bore tips improve the clarity of the upper frequencies too, which I personally feel only benefits the smooth musical tuning of the set. Of course that’s just my personal preference.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #2,033 of 2,541
I agree with impedance, I just use SE 3.5mm with the SR8, it really doesn’t need balanced. I can actually hear some hiss on my R6Pro2 using balanced on my SR8, due to the really low impedance and high sensitivity.

I actually have a high purity pure silver Hakugei cable on the way. It’s my most expensive cable to date, with custom injection moulded angled connectors. Unfortunately it’s taking forever to arrive.

I have the tangzu sancai tips, but I prefer the Sedna Earfit lights (long stemmed) as they give me a deeper secure fit from the wide stubby nozzle the SR8 has. I also feel that wide bore tips improve the clarity of the upper frequencies too, which I personally feel only benefits the smooth musical tuning of the set. Of course that’s just my personal preference.
I hear hiss from SR8 when driving them from Fiio K7 or Cayin RU6 and 7. Truthear SHIO and iBasso DC04 Pro are completely quiet, even balanced.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,034 of 2,541
I do agree with you guys. The SR8 is my top iem I have heard so far.
The sound is so robust and still very detailed, balanced with excellent timbre.

I had a hard time to set EQ for them as they sound so good there is literally nothing to improve.
I added 0.5db for sub bass and 1db for over 20khz. That's literally all I could do.
Listening to them daily does not fail to impress me. Still having the feeling that my main
speakers are left on while listening to them, I can literally feel the sound on my body.

When listening to some complex music (no matter what the genre is) they show you what they are capable of. Great separation, big soundstage and tons of details. Nothing is missed out and
everything is in perfect sonical harmony.

I have experienced with some cables I have but since I have paired them with Penon Space
this project got completed. The big sound got even bigger!

Not sure what SoundRhymes can do to beat these flagships, perhaps adding a couple of EST drives comes to mind (like Penon Impact did). For sure, it's going to be very hard to beat these.

I have read some stories of people selling their 2k+ iems once they got SR8 and I think it's really true.

Although I am also getting the DTE900 I am sure the SR8 will stay in first position.
As I expected DTE900 is going to be more fun and energetic where SR8 will stay more mature / neutral one.

If you are looking for a great soundstage, balanced sound, superb timbre & details these would fit all those boxes for sure.

Attachments

• SR8_custom_space_cable.jpg
    SR8_custom_space_cable.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,036 of 2,541
For impendence with desktop amps, I use this gem
My current setup is USB > Gustard U18 DDC > Gungnir A1 DAC > Liquid Platinum Amp > IeMatch4.4 > DTE900's and overall sound is better than using straight up DAP's like the IFI go bar and Cayin RU7. For cables, I've tried a few and my favs have been: Penon GS849, Stock Cable and Penon GD4 but looking to try others. If anyone know of an "improved" version of the GS849, I'd like to start there :)

For the GS849 on the DTE900's, The sub-bass sees a welcomed increase, creating a fuller and more controlled performance with extended reach and better tightness, adding a delightful punch to each note. For the mids, they really shine with brightness and clarity, providing transparent vocals free from congestion and boasting enhanced definition. I had problems here with other cables. The upper mids deliver captivating female vocals with precision and finesse. The treble extends without harshness (it can be borderline at times), maintaining a natural character while introducing a touch more sparkle and airiness. The soundstage undergoes a transformation, expanding naturally with a wider profile and improved depth, enhancing the positioning of both instruments and vocals.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #2,039 of 2,541
I do agree with you guys. The SR8 is my top iem I have heard so far.
The sound is so robust and still very detailed, balanced with excellent timbre.

I had a hard time to set EQ for them as they sound so good there is literally nothing to improve.
I added 0.5db for sub bass and 1db for over 20khz. That's literally all I could do.
Listening to them daily does not fail to impress me. Still having the feeling that my main
speakers are left on while listening to them, I can literally feel the sound on my body.

When listening to some complex music (no matter what the genre is) they show you what they are capable of. Great separation, big soundstage and tons of details. Nothing is missed out and
everything is in perfect sonical harmony.

I have experienced with some cables I have but since I have paired them with Penon Space
this project got completed. The big sound got even bigger!

Not sure what SoundRhymes can do to beat these flagships, perhaps adding a couple of EST drives comes to mind (like Penon Impact did). For sure, it's going to be very hard to beat these.

I have read some stories of people selling their 2k+ iems once they got SR8 and I think it's really true.

Although I am also getting the DTE900 I am sure the SR8 will stay in first position.
As I expected DTE900 is going to be more fun and energetic where SR8 will stay more mature / neutral one.

If you are looking for a great soundstage, balanced sound, superb timbre & details these would fit all those boxes for sure.
Nicely summarised. Is the Penon Space providing a decent dynamics? Do you totally recommend it?

Two things which I totally agree.

1. SR8 somehow does not go well with other cables. Tried some high end cables (PWAudio 1950s with shield and FTS) but not much improvement. I should have paired it with a good silver cable to see the difference but there were none. I assume the default cable is one of the best options.

2. SR8 somehow doesn’t respond much to EQ. I spent quite some time doing EQ, increasing the mid-bass a bit but didn’t help much. The default signature is so good that it’s just unnecessary to go for any eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back