Sound Rhyme impression thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,801 of 2,541
I’m not sure what you mean sorry?
Did you try others cables with DTE900? Did you do some comparisons with NiceHCK SpaceAuAg?

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,802 of 2,541
Did you try others cables with DTE900? Did you do some comparisons with NiceHCK SpaceAuAg?

Oh, no. I bought the SpaceAuAg cable specifically for the DTE900 due to the colour!

I’m not completely sold on cables changing the sound to be honest. Although I did feel that the SpaceAuAg may have improved the sound slightly over the supplied SPC cable which I’ve been using for the past 3 days. Although I’m more convinced that it’s the placebo affect, and it probably just sounds exactly the same.

Regardless though, even if I just think it sounds better (but it’s the same) it now looks WAY better - so win - win.

I do have some other cables, pure copper, silver and graphene, SPC etc, but I buy cables that I think will work with the iem (according to what people say they will do to alter the sound) and will match colour wise and look nice aesthetically.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,804 of 2,541
Just got the DTE900 in today. I am totally digging its sound immediately. Any burn-in will happen by listening! It's hard to take out of my ears even on first listen, it's just big, ballsy, spacious, huge sounding... with potent visceral bass. I'm quite happy with this purchase so far. It's gonna get a lot of ear time.

Edit -- Getting a little bit of upper mid spiciness (very music dependent though). Going to have to play with tips / cable to see if that can be tamed. Also, perhaps some time on the drivers will help things settle down.

Crappy pic:

369640068_1053185545598561_2200093484001451589_n.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,805 of 2,541
Just got the DTE900 in today. I am totally digging its sound immediately. Any burn-in will happen by listening! It's hard to take out of my ears even on first listen, it's just big, ballsy, spacious, huge sounding... with potent visceral bass. I'm quite happy with this purchase so far. It's gonna get a lot of ear time.

Crappy pic:

It’s nice to finally not feel alone in here! 😂

I assume based on your description of the sound you’re listening in the 1-1 configuration? It’s my favourite switch configuration for sure. Very enjoyable listening without any fatigue.

It’s actually really good on 0-1 too, it tones down the bass a bit as you’d expect but also reduces the thickness of the lower mids a touch - at least to my ears.

I don’t really like turning the second switch off, as it basically takes away the detail and air up top, and to me feels like it makes the 4 EST’s redundant.

How do you find the fit? They’re the best fitting iem I’ve had, the aurora was fantastic but the dte900 edges it as the nozzle goes in fairly deep. The iem then doesn’t move or cause any issues at all, it’s like it’s fixed to my ears.

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,806 of 2,541

Edit -- Getting a little bit of upper mid spiciness (very music dependent though). Going to have to play with tips / cable to see if that can be tamed. Also, perhaps some time on the drivers will help things settle down.

Crappy pic:

Is it brighter than PENON 10th AE and DTE500?

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,807 of 2,541
Hey there! Yeah, not many owners of the DTE900 yet for some reason. And confirmed, using 1-1 so far. I like that it supposedly gives the biggest sense of staging. I couldn't backtrack on that, as I really like a large sense of scale.

Fit is good for me... but the nozzle is a bit long, and even if seated pretty deep it sticks out somewhat. But it does lock securely into place, so no real worries. Isolation is excellent too.

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,808 of 2,541
Is it brighter than PENON 10th AE and DTE500?

I'd say definitely brighter than the 10th, and probably about the same as DTE500. It's got more reach in the lows than the 500 though, and from memory I think the sense of scale and soundstage is bigger.

Edit -- I remember one time you described the Thunder as a 'wall of sound', which is one of the reasons I bought it (and land thoroughly enjoyed it for a long time)... I think this IEM has that effect too. It's huge sounding. With both switches on, it is quite bassy though, at least on par with the Neo 5.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #1,809 of 2,541
Hey there! Yeah, not many owners of the DTE900 yet for some reason. And confirmed, using 1-1 so far. I like that it supposedly gives the biggest sense of staging. I couldn't backtrack on that, as I really like a large sense of scale.

Fit is good for me... but the nozzle is a bit long, and even if seated pretty deep it sticks out somewhat. But it does lock securely into place, so no real worries. Isolation is excellent too.
It’s the best for stage for sure.

A tip on fit, when putting it in, pull back the back part of your ear so it stretches and opens up your canal a bit. I learned this having owned etys for a year. It sits flush for me when I put it on like that. It may feel a bit weird at first, as it goes quite far.

It should feel that it sort of slots into place. I have to downsize on tips for the dte900 due to the deep fit.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,810 of 2,541
I'd say definitely brighter than the 10th, and probably about the same as DTE500. It's got more reach in the lows than the 500 though, and from memory I think the sense of scale and soundstage is bigger.

Edit -- I remember one time you described the Thunder as a 'wall of sound', which is one of the reasons I bought it (and land thoroughly enjoyed it for a long time)... I think this IEM has that effect too. It's huge sounding. With both switches on, it is quite bassy though, at least on par with the Neo 5.

I can’t remember now, did you have SR8? - curious how they compare.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,812 of 2,541
I can’t remember now, did you have SR8? - curious how they compare.
I just sold it not long ago... so I can't do a direct comparison unfortunately. But going from memory of the SR8, I think the 900 is a bit edgier in presentation. It has significantly deeper / bigger bass (of course). And I think it may have even better resolution in the mids, with the EST drivers. Hard to say if the stage (sense of space) is bigger... I lean towards yes for width. And it's probably similar on terms of depth and height. Overall it fits my taste much better than the SR8 did, and I really adored that IEM. But it can get a tad spicy in the upper mids - at least early on now (this may be source dependent, need more experimentation / listening to confirm).

Couple more pics, cause I think it's such a looker of an IEM...

received_691563286331873.jpegreceived_683182003716931.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #1,813 of 2,541
Did you say DTE900? 🙄
Order placed to @Penon 🥳

Aug 23, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #1,814 of 2,541
Did you say DTE900? 🙄
Order placed to @Penon 🥳
Mine are coming next Wednesday 😁 will be fun. Ha e a feel it will steal my excitement over the Okavango I just got 😅

Will be fun to see how it compares to Penon 10th and ISN EST50 also tribrids but cheaper models.

If I recall EST50 have a silicon driver in 10mm for bass, DTE900 have a liquid silicon with titanium shield in 9.2mm. And one thing that very nice on the est50 is the textured and nice low end.

Aug 23, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #1,815 of 2,541
I’ve already ordered the Night Oblivion but tempted to get the DTE900. The SR8 is my favourite set (above MEST2, Helios, Monarch2, U6T and others). Ive had loans of the DTE500 which was good but not good enough to buy. Loan of the Penon 10AE which, while technically excellent, I just didn’t like the tonality. Also just been trying the EPZ530 which is very intense and has a lot warm bass. I’m wondering how the 5BA EPZ and DTE900 would compare. I’ve got some impressions up of a few of the above sets at https://audionotions.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back