Sound Rhyme impression thread
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,786 of 2,540
I compared Butastur and SR8 very briefly(and so did Ian91) on the first page of the Butastur thread, if that helps. To my ears, Butastur is just at a higher tier compared to SR8. Although, the bass switch of the SR8 offers more of a dramatic change than that of the Butastur's bass switch, so I'd say the SR8 is more versatile. SR8 can be laid back and relaxed, or it can be exciting with big-ish bass and bright treble. (I have been using SR8 in 1-1, since 0-0 makes it too similar to Aurora, and I listen to both pretty frequently)

I compared Butastur and SR8 very briefly(and so did Ian91) on the first page of the Butastur thread, if that helps. To my ears, Butastur is just at a higher tier compared to SR8. Although, the bass switch of the SR8 offers more of a dramatic change than that of the Butastur's bass switch, so I'd say the SR8 is more versatile. SR8 can be laid back and relaxed, or it can be exciting with big-ish bass and bright treble. (I have been using SR8 in 1-1, since 0-0 makes it too similar to Aurora, and I listen to both pretty frequently)
between Betastur and SR8 which is the more analytical, detailed and open sound???

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,787 of 2,540
between Betastur and SR8 which is the more analytical, detailed and open sound???

I answered this for you in the Butastur thread(I should have responded there in the first place, sorry). I don't want to drag this thread too off-topic, especially considering we're about to be getting more delicious DTE900 impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #1,788 of 2,540
So just from really early impressions, I really like it.

Firstly the nozzle goes quite far in, not quite as far as my etys but way further than my other iem’s I’ve had. It does provide a really snug secure fit though once in, just feels odd at first and almost intrusive. I've also had to use a size smaller than what I would typically use. I'm finding the large dunu S&S tips work perfectly for me with this iem.

They sound very dynamic and punchy, very typical of what you would expect from the fr.

A/B'ing with my 10AE, it lacks the organic almost analog/warmish sound of the 10AE which makes to so seductive, but other than that I'd say the dte900 has better resolution, separation and detail. It also has a slightly bigger sound stage I feel too and feels more airy up top. They do sound more energetic than the 10AE, so that's something to be aware of.

It has really good bass too. I can’t say which has better bass yet, as the 10ae got better after burn in. But I can tell you if you like bass you won’t be disappointed.

These are just my early thoughts, I’m also very much a notice in this hobby, so take what i say with a bit of caution.
Oh I see you're ordering SR8 already. Aside from DD bass they'd be not that different according to Penon. I'll probably pass since I got SR8 already. Dunu S&S L do fit the SR8 pretty well.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,789 of 2,540
Oh I see you're ordering SR8 already. Aside from DD bass they'd be not that different according to Penon. I'll probably pass since I got SR8 already. Dunu S&S L do fit the SR8 pretty well.
The graphs don’t look similar, so I hope not!

I’m very impressed with the dte900 from early impresssions though.

I switched out the s&s tips for kbear07s as I found the s&s enhanced the treble beyond what I enjoy.

Aug 18, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #1,791 of 2,540
Listening to Sade with SR8(0-0), and it is a great match. Her stuff really shows off the spaciousness of the SR8 as well.:ksc75smile:

1. Get SR8
2. Listen to Sade
3. ???????
4. Profit????

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #1,792 of 2,540
How does the DTE900 compare to the Aurora?
I’ll a/b them tomorrow. But in the default 1-1 switch position on the dte900, they’re very different sounding iem’s.

The dte900 has more elevated bass and treble (in that config). In the 0-0 it’s a lot more relaxed and more neutral. In that config it’s closer to the Aurora’s sound.

I love the aurora for it’s relaxed smooth presentation, so it’s a perfect iem for when you want to relax, sit back and listen and just let the music envelope you. The dte900 is more energetic and fun sounding, at least in its default configuration. How close it gets to the aurora in 0-0 config - I will let you know in due course.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,793 of 2,540
I’ll a/b them tomorrow. But in the default 1-1 switch position on the dte900, they’re very different sounding iem’s.

The dte900 has more elevated bass and treble (in that config). In the 0-0 it’s a lot more relaxed and more neutral. In that config it’s closer to the Aurora’s sound.

I love the aurora for it’s relaxed smooth presentation, so it’s a perfect iem for when you want to relax, sit back and listen and just let the music envelope you. The dte900 is more energetic and fun sounding, at least in its default configuration. How close it gets to the aurora in 0-0 config - I will let you know in due course.

Does this mean that the Aurora are more similair to the SR8s? since they pursue a more smooth relaxing vibe.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #1,795 of 2,540
Aug 20, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,796 of 2,540
Just out of curiosity, how does the 10AE hold up against the sr8?
The 10AE and SR8 have different strengths and different approaches.

The 10AE more analogue in it's sound. Do you want hifi with clearer separation, more nuances and details? Or don't you care as much whether you can pinpoint where exactly an instrument or sound came from?

SR8 being more balanced across the spectrum, with better separation, imaging and details SR8 is more relaxed in the treble, but still retains a lot of detail. SR8 is better suited for high quality, well mastered songs.

10AE is more fun, more pronounced and fluffier bass and better treble sparkle which could get hot or fatiguing for some. 10AE is better for poorly mastered, old recordings as it doesn't reproduce flaws in the recording as clearly as the SR8.

SR8 is more correct sounding, but is still very much musical and engaging. Just less engaging than the very fun 10AE.

Which you prefer, is ultimately up to you.

Quoting my own analogy I made in a PM:
The soundstage and imaging on the SR8 is far superior to the 10AE. It's like comparing the technique of someone who goes for a jog every now and then vs an athlete. The jogger doesn't necessarily do anything wrong when you see them move, but when you see the beautiful steps of the athlete, you see how graceful it could be. You can see (or in this case, hear) that the SR8 does these things amazingly. Honestly, it's by far the best example I have heard in an IEM. And while the 10AE isn't bad, when you have them side by side, the soundstage and imaging just feels mediocre compared.

Another analogy, more in the ballpark of what the 10AE aims to be:
The 10AE is more like you in your 20s. You're going out, you blast music from a pair of KRK Rokit R6s while jumping in the shower with a cold beer on the shower rack. Frozen pizza thrown in the oven. You've got a good buzz going, you feel the rhythm of the music, you sing along in the shower and you're getting pumped for a night out with friends. The music is like a nightclub, tuned to play club music at it's best. It's a blast! Is it necessarily the most correct sounding? Who cares? Are you having fun? Hell yes!

While the SR8 is you in your 30s. You've invested in a pair of higher end speakers now. Less fun than the R6, but not as sterile as studio production monitors. More soulful speakers.
You prefer to sip some wine, while you dance and swing in between washing and chopping vegetables and slicing strips of meat before throwing it into the pan. Your cat comes in, and you lift them up and twirl around with them in your arms. The cat reluctantly let's you pester them because they know you love them, and they love you. The meal and wine, and sound of the SR8 is more exquisite. It's sophisticated, but still has that liveliness to it. You're not boring just cause you appreciate a good meal and good wine, before going out to meet friends. The musical, fun, music loving soul is still in there in you (the SR8), but there is less wooing and holding up your arms to show you are having a good time. Now you nod and tap your feet to the music instead, and that's alright.

I started writing about specific songs which I thought differentiated the sets better, but I expect this will be enough for now. Post would also become more of a review at that point.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,797 of 2,540
Just a quick update on my DTE900 after 2 days of listening, whilst I always say take whatever I say with caution as I’m fairly an inexperienced listener, I think they’re fantastic, I’m enjoying them so much. I’m so glad I took a leap of faith purchasing this set when I took a chance and bought them blind.

Anyone whose on the fence about buying them, if you enjoy this type of tuning, you won’t be disappointed. They’re really in their element and shine in the default 1-1 config they come in. Big punchy bass with low end rumble, thick musical sound. Lovely detail, separation and resolution with no fatigue for me in the upper frequencies (now I’ve removed and I realised I had 4-8k elevated in my eq settings by mistake).

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    1,003 KB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,798 of 2,540
Default design DTE900 with NiceHCK SpaceAuAg cable:

IMG_0464.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,799 of 2,540
Aug 21, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,800 of 2,540

Users who are viewing this thread

Back