Sound Rhyme impression thread
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #1,681 of 2,541
sr5 arrived today. I wonder why they used huge shells for 5 drives? fit and comfort is very poor. there are problems with air flow, I have a feeling of pressure in my ears. t is greater than 800. As for the sound issue, I just want to comment for the first listening. comments may expire after a few weeks. I thought the treble was better, less bright than I expected. The sound character of the iems is good adjusted. I don't want to comment too much before the burning process is over. In short, the fit and comfort are a disgrace, the sound is as I expected.
I have zero fit issues or pressure from SR7 which is a similar shell. However, it did take a long burn in to become what it is...a perfect blend of DD and BA. My favorite mid Fi deal.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,683 of 2,541
Change tips... I only resolved my fitment issues very recently after trying a bunch of tips.
For me the ones that sounded good but also solved my fitment issues were the Tangzu Sancai Eartips. Maybe they can help you to.

Best regards
I've been wondering about the eartips you mentioned for a long time, I added them to the list. I plan to order one soon. thanks
I have zero fit issues or pressure from SR7 which is a similar shell. However, it did take a long burn in to become what it is...a perfect blend of DD and BA. My favorite mid Fi deal.
I'm having a pressure problem with a lot of headphones, this might be my own problem. I was seriously enthusiastic about the sr 7, but I saw that the price offered to me was tax-free, I didn't want to pay a serious amount for a mid-range headphone after the t 800. I was enthusiastic about sr 5 for a while, but at that time I thought it was a hype train and gave up. I had to choose one of the penon fan or sr 5 for review last week. Since I was wondering too, I ordered from penon to review sr 5.

Aug 4, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,684 of 2,541
I'm having a pressure problem with a lot of headphones, this might be my own problem. I was seriously enthusiastic about the sr 7, but I saw that the price offered to me was tax-free, I didn't want to pay a serious amount for a mid-range headphone after the t 800. I was enthusiastic about sr 5 for a while, but at that time I thought it was a hype train and gave up. I had to choose one of the penon fan or sr 5 for review last week. Since I was wondering too, I ordered from penon to review sr 5.
I also had same experience, pressure prob. Due to having small ears i ended up on a tws tip (realme), it makes sr5 quite comfortable, and regarding sq its good. However best sound i got from Feaulle H570 small (medium size gave me weird resonance) and will try Feaulle's tws version in future that is H470. I would suggest to try a tws tip if no other tip solves the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_135212.jpg
    IMG_20230804_135212.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,685 of 2,541
I also had same experience, pressure prob. Due to having small ears i ended up on a tws tip (realme), it makes sr5 quite comfortable, and regarding sq its good. However best sound i got from Feaulle H570 small (medium size gave me weird resonance) and will try Feaulle's tws version in future that is H470. I would suggest to try a tws tip if no other tip solves the issue.
i ve tried multiple pressure solutions in the past, and i ve experienced that narrow ear tips increase the pressure feel. another comfort issue inhave is that the nozzle is long, so it doesn't fit well enough in my ear and the earphones sit outside my ears. this is the first time i have encountered such strange comfort problems.

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #1,686 of 2,541
i ve tried multiple pressure solutions in the past, and i ve experienced that narrow ear tips increase the pressure feel. another comfort issue inhave is that the nozzle is long, so it doesn't fit well enough in my ear and the earphones sit outside my ears. this is the first time i have encountered such strange comfort problems.

I do also have small ears and most multi-driver iems these days stick out my ears even with smallest tips, so I commited a crime against my eartips and the pic below is what I did to them. So I moved the tips further from the iem nozzle and managed to get a good seal due to the seal being shallower situated at the larger opening of my ear canal, I was able to wear the sr8s much closer to my ears. Worked like a charm, comfortable, with least changes to sound sig.
Pretty sure the sr8s had the largest shell, longest nozzle of the bunch.
I know what I did to the eartips is quite controversial but it is the most cost effective solution that worked for me. So might as well work for others too. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• PXL_20230804_162215265.jpg
    PXL_20230804_162215265.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230804_162125717.jpg
    PXL_20230804_162125717.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,687 of 2,541
I do also have small ears and most multi-driver iems these days stick out my ears even with smallest tips, so I commited a crime against my eartips and the pic below is what I did to them. So I moved the tips further from the iem nozzle and managed to get a good seal due to the seal being shallower situated at the larger opening of my ear canal, I was able to wear the sr8s much closer to my ears. Worked like a charm, comfortable, with least changes to sound sig.
Pretty sure the sr8s had the largest shell, longest nozzle of the bunch.
I know what I did to the eartips is quite controversial but it is the most cost effective solution that worked for me. So might as well work for others too. Just my 2 cents.
Wow man that looks hilarious! Never thought of putting on tips like that. :joy: Only downside is the ear wax. How do you manage to prevent wax from going inside the tubes?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,688 of 2,541
Wow man that looks hilarious! Never thought of putting on tips like that. :joy: Only downside is the ear wax. How do you manage to prevent wax from going inside the tubes?
I couldn't figure out a way to prevent that currently, probably clean my ears? 😅 I am using CIEMs on a regular basis so dealing with earwaxes is a norm for me.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #1,692 of 2,541
That nozzle also look like it may be a talking point

That nozzle looks a lot like the one from the Yanyin Moonlight, which is the IEM of the ones I've had, that had the best fit (for my ears, each one has their own). It may be necessary to lower the size of the tips.

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #1,693 of 2,541
Taken from Penon's FB post on the DTE900. Thought it was relevant: Two tuning switches on a tribrid. Very interesting!

That nozzle also look like it may be a talking point

366203175_1920547358325522_9139183906629939675_n.jpg

Nozzle and also the concha contour. It looks quite aggressive and pronounced. Still interested though!

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,695 of 2,541
Any impressions on the sr8?

Very impressed, the SR8 sits firmly next to sets that are twice the price in my collection. Excellent clarity, resolution, staging, details at the same time a bit laid back and not aggressive by any means. Normally when something is tuned leaning to the softer side the clarity and resolution will likely be dialed down a bit. Not this set. Clear and clean sounding with thick notes, as thick as my UE Live, which is considered by many to be very thick and impactful, old school kinda sound but muddy sounding at the same time, SR8's notes is just as strong but with clarity instead of mud.
Simply excellent tuning. FYI I had both switches on for extra oomph.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back