Sound Rhyme impression thread
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,666 of 2,540
My custom SR8 just arrived !

1000057258.jpg
1000057259.jpg
(Nicely paired with the NiceHCK Season cable)

So far, I'm loving it! Extremely detailed and still pretty fun with nice mid-bass impact (not overly done, just the right amount) and very clean (I mean, crystal clear) vocals. Nice and "big" (for an IEM (my Arya is still larger 😅)) soundstage too.
Will post more impressions and compare it with my EJ07M in the next few days.
That looks sick!

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #1,670 of 2,540
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,671 of 2,540
Hello there again! 🤗

The Quintet has a more lean bass then the SR5. That's what I noticed right away. Quintet has a lot further extended treble and sounds brighter.

Strong and thick mids are the area in which the SR5 wins. Quintet has more typical chifi mids like you would usually expect. Both of them can be very well equalized which is a bonus. The Quintet is a little harder to drive and really improves it's sound when driven by a hybrid amplifier which is typical behavior for planar in ears.

Quintet is recommended for fans of planar treble. This in ear is pure planar treble since the frequency range is mostly serviced by the other drivers, leaving the planar driver for the treble. Very fast, smooth and detailed treble. Micro detail is not emphasized like in a DD+BA combo. SR5 is a highly resolving IEM with typical BA treble that makes details stand out.

Imaging and separation are very good on both sets but the Quintet is much better. The treble on the quintet sounds so good that I'm happy with this set as my endgame. The treble is so detailed that I have no need for any new IEM with a balanced driver. I simply prefer how guitars sound on a planar hybrid. The fit of the quintet is a downside but I can use my Dunu S&S tips much easier. These tips are a massive upgrade for this IEM that transforms it's soundstage into a super huge stage with top imaging. S&S tips shape the treble perfectly.

My Quintet is driven by a desktop setup consisting of a Jitterbug -> Cayin RU6 > Xduoo MT-602 > JDS Atom amp > 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter > ISN S16 4.4mm cable > Quintet.
Very detailed and helpful impressions/comparison , thanks ,

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,674 of 2,540
Can't find the graphs for the sr8 switches. Does anyone know ehat the switches do?
Here's a graph, https://tgx78.squig.link/?share=SR8_00,SR8_01,SR8_10,SR8_11

1690849438741.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,675 of 2,540
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #1,677 of 2,540
More detailed impressions to follow, but I am still enjoying the SR7 quite a lot.

It's thick, meaty bass combined with the forward, lush vocals are intoxicating on tracks such as "Love Invention" by Alison Goldfrapp:

It also plays surprisingly well with Orchestral music, including this gem of an album by the Electronic artist Opiuo with the Syzygy Orchestra.

And for something that shows off the SR7's versatility, here's some fast and fluid shredding from Polyphia's guitar ace Tim Henson on "Yas."

These have never failed to put a smile on my face!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,679 of 2,540
sr5 arrived today. I wonder why they used huge shells for 5 drives? fit and comfort is very poor. there are problems with air flow, I have a feeling of pressure in my ears. t is greater than 800. As for the sound issue, I just want to comment for the first listening. comments may expire after a few weeks. I thought the treble was better, less bright than I expected. The sound character of the iems is good adjusted. I don't want to comment too much before the burning process is over. In short, the fit and comfort are a disgrace, the sound is as I expected.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #1,680 of 2,540
sr5 arrived today. I wonder why they used huge shells for 5 drives? fit and comfort is very poor. there are problems with air flow, I have a feeling of pressure in my ears. t is greater than 800. As for the sound issue, I just want to comment for the first listening. comments may expire after a few weeks. I thought the treble was better, less bright than I expected. The sound character of the iems is good adjusted. I don't want to comment too much before the burning process is over. In short, the fit and comfort are a disgrace, the sound is as I expected.
Change tips... I only resolved my fitment issues very recently after trying a bunch of tips.
For me the ones that sounded good but also solved my fitment issues were the Tangzu Sancai Eartips. Maybe they can help you to.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back