Sound Rhyme impression thread
May 10, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #1,171 of 2,541
I can't say much about their support in such cases but right now I am disappointed about how they handle the situation where there is active infection on their site which leads to getting your CC data stolen and used for unauthorized purchases. They didn't remove that option from their site nor warn users about the problem.
They did reply to me saying that they would investigate with their agent and get back to me, that's about it for now. But yes, the CC problem is far worse! I used paypal for my payments because the form looked pretty insecure.

May 10, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #1,172 of 2,541
May 10, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #1,173 of 2,541
ISN S16 appears to be an upgrade from the Black Soul. you have to enjoy a brighter cable if you want this.
I guess a copper cable would be great for SR5 to reduce some excrescent brightness. I will try and will report on the weekend.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,174 of 2,541
Putting a cable that improves technicalities on the SR5 works. This set is so resolving now. The mids are gigantic and still fluid like water.
I love the synergy between the SR5 and the NiceHCK BlackSoul. I bought the Tripowin Altea but I still prefer the BlackSoul.
I do however think the NiceHCK Superblue should pair well with the SR5, because I have one paired with the Timeless OG and it's amazing 😍. No harshness, all the details and great bass.

May 11, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #1,175 of 2,541
Anyone know much about the DTE900? Looking back on the thread there’s stuff about it being released earlier as SR04 at a lower price (?). It’s available form a couple of stores on AliExpress for about the same price as the SR8. Is it an upgrade on the DTE500 and has anyone heard it or know if it’s legit?

May 11, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,176 of 2,541
Anyone know much about the DTE900? Looking back on the thread there’s stuff about it being released earlier as SR04 at a lower price (?). It’s available form a couple of stores on AliExpress for about the same price as the SR8. Is it an upgrade on the DTE500 and has anyone heard it or know if it’s legit?
You will see that Penon doesn't offer it. It's older than SR8 and DTE500 and doesn't sound as good (that's what Penon said, some weeks ago).

May 11, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,177 of 2,541
Penon audio decided not the carry the original DTE900 because the tuning wasn’t good. They are going to retune it. It has been longer than 2 weeks with no news yet so there’s that.
6A3C683C-A461-4012-B7C6-1B4ED890850C.jpeg
Looks like DTE900 retune is closer than we think!

May 11, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,178 of 2,541
Anyone interested in trying out SoundRhyme, as my introduction of SR8 hits 20k impressions to Japanese audiophile community, I asked if they are willing to further push SoundRhyme’s publicity, Penon generously accepted offer and is willing to sponsor a free SR5!

If you have twitter acount, please follow Penon and Myself (linked in this RT campaign tweet) and retweet.

Event time : now to 5/20 21:00 JST.
Raffle Result: 5/21.

Winner to directly reach out to Penon for the shipping address, so your personal info shall be kept just like Penon’s customers ✌️

May 11, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #1,179 of 2,541

May 12, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,180 of 2,541
I did some experiments with DSP and I'm happy with it. I might have reached an endgame setting for my SR5. To put it into words: my eq software has peak filters, shelf filters and resonance filters. I did use the resonance filters to increase the upper register reverb abilities of my set.

Clarity has been pushed to another level now. I do not really need any kind of upgrade now.

May 12, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,181 of 2,541
Has there been any more feedback on SR1 and SR4? I saw Tony's video on the SR1 vs Fan and D10. That kind of piqued my interest. I presume the SR4 is an all BA model and if Sound Rhymes other products are any indication, may also be worth a look. :thinking:

May 13, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,183 of 2,541
So the shipping saga is finally over for the SR8 at least, and I just received it. Going to play with it a bit and I'll post back with impressions some time this weekend!

Good to hear it's in your hands safely. Looking forward to what you think of it.

May 14, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,184 of 2,541
Good to hear it's in your hands safely. Looking forward to what you think of it.
As much as I want to go into detail, it would be lying to myself and my current level of technical understanding. However, what I can safely say is that this is a clear upgrade from the TSMR sands that I had. Is it worth a little over 2x the price of the Sands? A resounding yes based on this weekend's listening time with the SR8. It has handled my library like a champ and I haven't felt that it is fatiguing to listen to at all.

Bass is adequate, vocals are lush and there is a solid amount of detail. The Sands perhaps had some more resolving ability, but the overall package of the SR8 is too much to take on for the Sands.

One thing I dislike though is the 3.5mm plug that came with the modular cable. It doesn't fully insert into the jack. No problems with the balanced 4.4 mm, so that's what I am using. On that note, anyone have any cable upgrade suggestions that pair well with the SR8?

EDIT: So far, I've been using it in the default 1-1 mode.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,185 of 2,541
One thing I dislike though is the 3.5mm plug that came with the modular cable. It doesn't fully insert into the jack. No problems with the balanced 4.4 mm, so that's what I am using. On that note, anyone have any cable upgrade suggestions that pair well with the SR8?

Akros is recommending this one

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ey0EJgV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back