Sound Rhyme impression thread
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,456 of 2,540
I see many people talk about the sounstage on the SR8 and that's even bigger to the Neon Pro, for example.
I'm looking for a more detail oriented IEM with a really nice soundstage on the sub $1500 range to be a nice (and immediately felt) upgrade from my EJ07M.
Does anyone here ever compared the soundstage of the SR8 to IEMs such as UM MKII/MKIII and specially U12T ?
(I see people talk about the Neon having a bit nicer bass and "energy" but I really want a more detailed IEM over a bassy one, because after getting the TGXEars Sunniva I'm really set on the bass department)
I haven't heard Mest Mk2/mk3 but I've owned the UM Mext and I found the soundstage to be huge and was the biggest I've heard, bigger than Penon Impact and Tansio RGB. I think the SR8 is the first IEM I've found that can match the UM Mext's soundstage.

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,457 of 2,540
For your budget you can have both Neon Pro and SR8
No way lol
And just because one thing: Taxes
As I live in Brazil, if I got unlucky and just ONE of those two get picked by the customs I would be paying literally DOUBLE the price of them. So yeah... Importing here is a big risk. And another reason I asked about the UM IEMs in comparison to the Neon Pro and the SR8 is that UM have a official "salesperson" here in Brazil, so I would not pay any taxes if I got one.

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,458 of 2,540
Yeah, but like I said, I'm really looking for a comparison between the more "TOTL" sub $2000 IEMs such as the MKII/III and the U12T. I'm worrying that if I go with the SR8 or the Neon Pro I really would not be getting the upgrade I want. I basically want a more detail and "expansive sounding" EJ07M. I want to know what I'm "losing" (if I will be losing at all lol, because I see people here praising them both as just straight up better IEMs than MK2, for example) for not going to the $1500 price range. And yes, I know that after reaching something like EJ07M the upgrade and the "wow factor" heavly diminshes, but still......
You might look into the Custom Art Fibae 5. It's an amazing set that's beautifully tuned and, to my ears, has TOTL characteristics.

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,459 of 2,540
I see many people talk about the sounstage on the SR8 and that's even bigger to the Neon Pro, for example.
I'm looking for a more detail oriented IEM with a really nice soundstage on the sub $1500 range to be a nice (and immediately felt) upgrade from my EJ07M.
Does anyone here ever compared the soundstage of the SR8 to IEMs such as UM MKII/MKIII and specially U12T ?
(I see people talk about the Neon having a bit nicer bass and "energy" but I really want a more detailed IEM over a bassy one, because after getting the TGXEars Sunniva I'm really set on the bass department)

I have both SR8 and MEST MKIII recently landed and getting roughly equal ear-time, albeit limited due to being busy at work. I’m off now for a week and will compare.

IMG_4949.jpeg

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,461 of 2,540
I have both SR8 and MEST MKIII recently landed and getting roughly equal ear-time, albeit limited due to being busy at work. I’m off now for a week and will compare.

What about the GAEA, did anyone here heard the GAEA and the SR8 ?
If so, they really are on par with each other ?

Jul 3, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,463 of 2,540
Summoning @s2kphile :dt880smile:

In A/B tests, Gaea suffers noticeably next to the Monarch II. Many folks here seem to place SR8 in the range of TOTL IEM above Monarch II.

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #1,464 of 2,540

Summoning @s2kphile :dt880smile:

In A/B tests, Gaea suffers noticeably next to the Monarch II. Many folks here seem to place SR8 in the range of TOTL IEM above Monarch II.
GAEA is fing trash. SR8 is leagues better than Gaea. It has better mids, better treble, way more bass for a BA set vs Gaeas DD. Gaea is sibilant and fatiguing; moreover for a IEM.that cost 2x more than the SR8 the channel mismatching is unacceptable.

The only thing Gaea has going for it is its looks. And we all know flash with little substance can take you only so far. Thats why you see alot of Gaea for sale in the classifieds. Its a hate it or love it IEM. GAEA, Trash!

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #1,465 of 2,540
GAEA is fing trash. SR8 is leagues better than Gaea. It has better mids, better treble, way more bass for a BA set vs Gaeas DD. Gaea is sibilant and fatiguing; moreover for a IEM.that cost 2x more than the SR8 the channel mismatching is unacceptable.

The only thing Gaea has going for it is its looks. And we all know flash with little substance can take you only so far. Thats why you see alot of Gaea for sale in the classifieds. Its a hate it or love it IEM. GAEA, Trash!
A bit exaggerated, mate :dt880smile:

My sample unit has perfect channel balance. Maybe you are unlucky. But yeah, I imagine it wouldn’t touch the SR8 level. I’m still hem haw between SR8 and Neon Pro.

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #1,466 of 2,540

I have some other TOTL-ish IEMs and the SR8 has a bigger stage that most of them. To my ears the SR8 soundstage is bigger than the stage of the Anole VX, Sony IER-M9, 64 Audio Nio, Monarch & Monarch MKII, AKG N5005, Sennheiser IE600, AüR Audio Alita and Aurora. But there are a few others that are in the same ballpark(IER-Z1R, EX1000, OG MEST, Andromeda 2020, and UM 3DT). The MEST stage is a little different because it kind of wraps around my face, doesn't have as much width but has more depth(than SR8). To me it's a pretty big compliment to the SR8 that it can hang with the soundstage champs I've heard. I like it more than my AüR Audio IEMs partly for that reason(although male vocals on Alita are hard to compete with).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #1,467 of 2,540
There are two switches on SR8. I don't get what does what. Stock setting is both switches top. I think that means U shape? When I switch down (switches to 1 and 2) then they become mid centric/neutral, won't they? What setting do you like most?

@AmericanSpirit I can't find your short reviews on SR8. Could you please link it? It's a hassle to search on Head-Fi. :scream:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #1,468 of 2,540
I haven’t even tried the switches on SR8 yet, I must do!

Jul 5, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #1,470 of 2,540
A bit exaggerated, mate :dt880smile:

My sample unit has perfect channel balance. Maybe you are unlucky. But yeah, I imagine it wouldn’t touch the SR8 level. I’m still hem haw between SR8 and Neon Pro.
Sample unit? Question was it hand picked by the manufacture to send for review or did you buy it retail?

I may be unlucky because for $1300 IEM, this is unacceptable. And yes, SR8 is on another level. I am looking forward for their future releases.
received_251863257455295.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back