Sound Recording
Dec 22, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
OK, this may just be a matter of taste that we disagree in. I have over 2000 live recordings. I've been trading live shows for years.

I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than an audience recording.

This is how I see it. Every venue is different and most of the time the equipment is tired and mics are placed in poor places. The bass can never truly be caught well with mics and the since they're in the audience, you've got to listen to the crowd say stupid sh!t

If you want to hear a great SBD recording....try the Grateful Dead 5-8-77. No AUD comes close to being that good.

B

That's cool. I have over 1500 shows too and have heard quite a few gems, typically radio broadcasts. Honestly, if your into shows that much you should have quite a few audience recordings that are slamming...unless you haven't crossed yet which is hard to imagine by now. Personally, I don't mind crowd noise or ambient crowd noise, it adds to the atmosphere of the show, imho. Soundboards typically sound too dry/analytical for me to enjoy, unless that's all that's out there. By the way, mics are not the problem, its the positioning of them that accounts for a ****** recording and/or the PA system in the venue (and the venue's acoustics).

I was just listening to a NIN show recording with dpa mics...it's killer.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 20
Dec 22, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #18 of 20
I F'n LOVE RRE.

Just wish they'd make it to KC sometime.

Yes, this recording is nice, but it sounds like 14 people came to see them.

This is a better AUD recording...well done.

Call me crazy, but I think Betty Cantor could have done better
biggrin.gif

B

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

I F'n LOVE RRE.

Just wish they'd make it to KC sometime.

biggrin.gif

B

That's an incredibly aud recording. Do yourself a favor, download it, burn it and listen to it. Let your ears acclaimate to the sound of an audience recording. For me, a soundboard sounds great to many because its in your face, there's no crowd noise and for some reason, people think soundboards are cool. Audience recordings can be hit or miss, but when they are a hit, they bury soundboard recordings. I think audience recordings just take longer to get used to because we are so used to everything sounding so polished and loud.

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

biggrin.gif

B

I actually hear quite a bit of crowd chatter in the background. Whoever recorded it, did a damn good job of setting up his mics in such a fashion as to repel crowd noise. At least, that's imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back