Sound Quality Sony NWZ A15 vs iPhone 6 Plus
Jul 26, 2015 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ohenriquez

New Head-Fier
Dear members

I apologise if this info is somewhere else but I could not find it. 

I am a new member, but I had been following this website for a while

I would like to know whether quality of sound from Sony High Resolution NWZ A15 is better than the iPhone 6 Plus. I have iPhone 6 Plus but would like to try Sony for dedicated player if quality of sound is better

I have of course good quality headphones

I got confused by this person on youtube but I am not convinced of his explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNIRC0kVvWg

It would make sense that a dedicated High Def device would produce better quality of sound  than iPhone but it would be good to hear from any of you who may have real life experience with these 2 devices

Thanks for your help

Omar

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm no expert but I have a Fiio X3 2nd gen, IBasso DX50, and a Sony AWZ A15 and an Iphone 5, and the Sony certainly sounds better than the Iphone to me, in fact I prefer it to the other players as well, I use Cosmic Ears CIEM.s CE6Bs. (6 drivers per ear and quite revealing) so you would need to test that you get sufficient volume for headphones, but I am surprised I like the Sony rather than the other 2 HD players and phone, plus its very easy to carry around and has a simpler interface with more features (if you want them) plus its cheaper than the other HD players.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm no expert but I have a Fiio X3 2nd gen, IBasso DX50, and a Sony AWZ A15 and an Iphone 5, and the Sony certainly sounds better than the Iphone to me, in fact I prefer it to the other players as well, I use Cosmic Ears CIEM.s CE6Bs. (6 drivers per ear and quite revealing) so you would need to test that you get sufficient volume for headphones, but I am surprised I like the Sony rather than the other 2 HD players and phone, plus its very easy to carry around and has a simpler interface with more features (if you want them) plus its cheaper than the other HD players.

Hello.
Good to hear that A15 performes better. I was thinking about the fiio x3ii but recently started concidering the A15. However, I'm concerned about drivability. Will it be able to power low impedance cans like W1000Z SRH1540 ? Or should I need an amp ?
Thanks in advance :D

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Hello.
Good to hear that A15 performs better. I was thinking about the Fiio x3ii but recently started considering the A15. However, I'm concerned about drive-ability. Will it be able to power low impedance cans like W1000Z SRH1540 ? Or should I need an amp ?
Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

I have used the older Sony E465 & E474 DAPs with 60-Ohm headphones, the E465/E474 could drive them to a decent volume.
I would assume the newer NWZ-A15 offers at least a little more power.
So you should be ok with the A15.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 10
I have used the older Sony E465 & E474 DAPs with 60-Ohm headphones, the E465/E474 could drive them to a decent volume.
I would assume the newer NWZ-A15 offers at least a little more power.
So you should be ok with the A15.

Nice to hear :L3000:
Just want to keep it low in case of DAP to spend more on headphones.
Thanks for the reply.

Btw seems that you have A900X. Have you heard W1000Z ? If so, then how do they compare ?
I'm currently deciding between W1000Z & SRH1540. Wondering if the AT's perform well with soft rock & metal(that's what I hear)

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 10
Nice to hear
L3000.gif

Just want to keep it low in case of DAP to spend more on headphones.
Thanks for the reply.

Btw seems that you have A900X. Have you heard W1000Z ? If so, then how do they compare ?
I'm currently deciding between W1000Z & SRH1540. Wondering if the AT's perform well with soft rock & metal(that's what I hear)

W1000Z vs SRH1540.
I would assume either one would serve you well.
Maybe just try and find reviewx from people who own one or the other and see what they have to say.
Someone might point out what they like or dislike about either headphone.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 10
W1000Z vs SRH1540.
I would assume either one would serve you well.
Maybe just try and find reviewx from people who own one or the other and see what they have to say.
Someone might point out what they like or dislike about either headphone.

Thank you very much. I'd take your suggestion & enquire a little bit more. However, with due respect, I do have a little bit more to know from you. :)

How do you like your A900X & W1000X ? How's the soundstage ? And how do they sound with rock, metal, pop ?(although,I don't know if you listen to those)

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 10
The ATH-A900X was my preferred headphone for all my music listening, at my PC
new rock, old rock, pop, classical (I like 1812), modern Celtic, etc.
I guess any rock that has come out from about the 1960s onward.
And when I got the W1000X, it became my preferred headphone, for really just about any audio that comes out of my computer (music & movies).
I was really lucky to get the W1000X used for $280, they were in great shape.
Can't really say anything negative about them.
I have some Beyerdynamic T70 headphones, not as musical as the W1000X, but great clarity.
I'm going to back to my TV to finish watching The Strain, but will be back on-line in about 30 minutes..

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 10
  Dear members

I apologise if this info is somewhere else but I could not find it. 

I am a new member, but I had been following this website for a while

I would like to know whether quality of sound from Sony High Resolution NWZ A15 is better than the iPhone 6 Plus. I have iPhone 6 Plus but would like to try Sony for dedicated player if quality of sound is better

I have of course good quality headphones

I got confused by this person on youtube but I am not convinced of his explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNIRC0kVvWg

It would make sense that a dedicated High Def device would produce better quality of sound  than iPhone but it would be good to hear from any of you who may have real life experience with these 2 devices

Thanks for your help

Omar

iPhone 6 sounded noticeably more pleasant to me than A15 to me using Sennheiser IE80, A15 produced some background noise, that constant hiss, especially when changing songs (when it should be silent background). I've also heard couple of other people had this problem.
However note that IE80 are very sensitive and low impedance earphones so maybe there won't be hiss if you have something else, anyways sound itself was pretty much the same to me except that background noise. 

EDIT: haven't tried 6 plus but I assume it sounds identical to iPhone 6.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 10
Celtic is what I'm listening recently..they're good :D

Been reading the W1000Z thread & most of the writers there preferred it to the W1000X. I think you should try it. :)

Btw I went to college & didn't take my cellphone :frowning2: couldn't come timely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back