Sound Quality - Sennheiser HD558 or Bose Quiet Comfort 15?
Jan 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JDoeA

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

This is my first time posting on Head-Hi.org and nice to meet you all!

I'm currently considering buying a Sennheiser HD558 since it is on sale for a 80 dollars off in the store.

But I already have a Bose Quiet Comfort 15 and I mainly use it as an equipment of noise deduction.

And whether I'm going to buy it depends on whether the sound quality of HD558  is better than the QC15 I have now or not.

I did some research and I could not really find any useful web pages that compare the sound quality of the two.

And through the research I do know that HD558 is a open-back design and it will leak sound; it is better to be used in a quiet environment.

And here comes my main consideration:

1. For sound quality, which one is better? Bose QC15 or Sennheiser HD558? How much better? I normally listen to soft music.

2. How worse is the leak of the sound of HD558? I live with my parents and I don't want to disturb them next room with open doors.

3. I saw some people said that the 6.5mm to 3.5mm jack adaptor comes with the HD558 is quite bad and I need to buy the Grador adaptor. Is it right?

EDIT: and I always listen to lossless soundtrack.

These are all my questions and thank you very much in advance!

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
MalVeauX,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Then do you have any comment on the sound quality of Bose QC15 and Sennheiser HD558?

Regards

Heya,

Sound quality doesn't really matter here if you're looking to not leak sound; so your current QC15 is simply the way to go.

Also, the HD558 is not really a headphone I'd worry about. Your current QC15 has good sound quality. To truly upgrade from it would be a $200~300 investment into a mid-fi headphone. Not an $80 beater.

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Aside from the fact that you really wouldn't be going with an upgrade, but a side-grade.  I haven't heard the Bose, but I'm familiar with the Sennheiser signature at that level - and you've heard from Malveaux that it takes more $$ to be considered an upgrade.

However, a couple of pointers for the future, as well as to comment for anyone else in a similar situation:

1. While open headphones do leak and have the potential to be disruptive, it's also best not to overdo it on the volume.  One wants to be able to to hear, and enjoy music for a very long time.  Open headphones are best used in a quieter environment, so the listener doesn't get disturbed while listening.  But, keeping the volume at a realistic level can also mean that you can use open headphones without disturbing others.
  2. The Grado ($12 - $14) connector isn't the only option.  Hosa makes a similar one with about a 3" section of cable between the 1/4" female to 3.5mm male end.  I've been able to get mine from a Best Buy store that has a music instrument / studio department for about $4.00.  It works equally as well as the Grado connector, but has silver-coated connectors and not the gold tone connectors.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back