Sound quality problem when playing Vinyl through Audacity.
Feb 27, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 22
Here's the clip you recorded without RIAA EQ ... I added the RIAA EQ in software and normalized to -1dB. Doesn't it sound bad aswell?

http://www.mediafire.com/?219xai48xc47o65

Yes, you are right, it does.

Quote:
Is it possible for you to try another cartridge?
If you decide to get new Hi-Fi cartridge, Ortofon has nice ones even in low budged series. Other brands that comes into mind are Grado, Shure, Goldring.

Yeah I can try another one, but I'd have to buy one then. Which would'nt a problem ofcourse if you are sure that my current cartridge is what's causing the distortion.

Quote:
as the distortion is present even in other sample, I think it's either the high output voltage from cartridge or your recording level settings in PC end that makes sound distorded.

Yes I think I agree... I also think that it's probably due to the cartridge, because if you think about it... I also get the distortion without my pc even being in the chain at all, which should point out that it is caused either by the source (the TT) or the amp, then again, I also get distortion without the use of the amp, which leaves the turntable to be the only possible explanation. Right?

So what voltage should I be looking for then, instead of 7,5mV ?
The Numark Groovetool for instance, is 2.4mV and has a recommended tracking force of 2.5g - 3.5g. Would that be a better one for my situation?

Quote:
What needle weight are you using (IIRC, recommended weight is between 3g and 5g)?

Well, the balance weight that came with the turntable can go from 0g to 3,5g.
I''ve already adjusted the horizontal balance (when the weight is on 0g, the tone arm is leveled horizontally and equal to the record), then the manual says to balance the weight until the scale indicates the value which corresponds to the recommended stylus force of the pick up system... now I've seen on the internet that the tracking force range of this particular cartridge is 3.0g - 5.0g and that the recommended tracking force is 4.0g, so I guess I should set the weight to 3.0g - 3.5g then?

Same goes for the anti-skating wheel, which should be set as such that the value of the stylus force corresponds to the stylus force of the pick up system... So if I set the balance weight to 3.0g, the anti-skating wheel should be set to 3 as well? (the anti-skating wheel goes from 1 - 7 btw)

Quote:
i still dont see why the computer has anything to do with playing a vinyl...

Well the reason why I want to have my PC in the chain is because otherwise I would'nt have anything to control the volume with, and I would also like to have the option to record my records.
But yeah, I doubt now that the thing that is causing this lies with my PC, since I still had the same problem without it.

Once again, thanks for the help and effort.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 22
Hmm... you mentioned having bought the turntable recently. If that's the case, why not contact the reseller first and try to get the (defect) cartridge replaced by another ... (if you don't necessarily need a DJ- type of cartridge/needle then ask if they can replace it with a Hi-Fi type of cartridge/needle).

My Technics carridges outputs 2.0mV and I quess the normal output voltage is somewhere between 2 and 3.5 mV (I'm not sure 'bout that but if you want to check this just visit here - http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php)

As there are many possible issues in turntable/cartridge/needle setups, I suggest you to ask if anyone has had this same type of issue with this model of Ortofon or any other cart ... or, just ask some advice regarding possible replacement cart. VinylEngine is good place for to ask these questions.

jiiteepee

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 22
Thanks man, I will.

The webshop where I bought the tunrtable also has it's own forum where I already asked the same question so I''m waiting for a response now and hoping they might be willing to trade the cartridge.

I'll also have a look on VinylEngine, thanks for the tip.
But I think it is safe to say now that the cartridge is what's causing the distortion after all, right?

Thanks again for all your help and effort, I realy appreciate it. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #20 of 22
I have empathy for all of those out there who are attempting in one way or another to integrate computer audio into their home stereo or home theatre systems. Until, recently the typical analog consumer audio/video component would likely not have had any user selectable settings which, if not set appropriately, could have much consequence to how listenable the system might be. Just plug in the RCA's correctly and happiness was pretty much assured. Digital kinda changed that, and, now with PC's and programs like iTunes being integrated into home systems for playback through speakers, getting it right is no way close to being assured. Issues range from compatibility and conversions to attenuation and processing. If some one like Sony with a stake in computer audio/video would lay out an integration platform for their computers perhaps we'd not need this sort of thread. At any rate, until some party out there can provide a solution, that's to say make this stuff E-Z for most of us morons, the convenience of computer audio will remain allusive. By the way, I think most problems are in the arena of pass-through, up-sampling, and attenuation, at least that's where for me parameters have had to be associated between components to get the best results. Also, until there's an end to the bit and bite race, or a manner to accommodate any, I don't think we'll ever get out of having a need for threads like this, and a need for computer geeks to help us out. Maybe it's why folks are gravitated today to vintage analog audio.

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #21 of 22
Found some technical specifications for this OM GT cartridge in question here...

http://www.acclaim-music.com/Ortofon-OMGT-Spherical-Diamond-Turntable-Cartridge.html

EDIT: Noticed that you opened a thread @ VinylEngine Forums ... IMO, it would be good choice if you link those audio samples there as well.

jiiteepee

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #22 of 22
Ah yes, ofcourse. Completely forgot about that. I'll add them to the thread :wink:

Let's hope now that anyone on there could give me some further information on the subject.

And yes, I already found that on the internet too, that's where I noticed that the recommended tracking force for this particular cartridge was 4.0g, which I thought was odd since my balance weight can only go up to 3.5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back