Sound Quality Player
Nov 7, 2007 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aych

100+ Head-Fier
Tried to do a search, but couldn't really find what I was looking for.
Again it is for a recommendation for a player.
Requirements are quality.
A player must have FLAC / Lossless support, and Line out.
Preferably no imod.

Does anyone have any good ones that come to mind?
cant stand mp3's anymore

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 12
Cowon D2 has almost everything you need except the line-out
frown.gif

I wish it got one.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 12
I have the Cowon X5. I did tons of search before pulling the trigger on this one. It has one of the best SQ. Supposedly the signal coming out of the headphone jack is fairly decent. But I made a dock for line out signal based on some information posted on iAudio/Cowon's own forum.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Have you tried MD before? I currently own the MZ-RH1 and the SQ is unsurpassed. It supports .wav so you won't be complaining anymore. Although ATRAC sounds really good, so even at 192kbps or lower it sounds decent for the bitrate. The difference between .wav and ATRAC is blurred at around 256kbps (aka Hi-SP) and goes up to 352kbps in ATRAC. Also supports mp3 in CBR or VBR up to 320kbps. You can also convert wma/wav/mp3 to ATRAC. However I recently stepped away from MD because the capacity per minidisc was too small (only 1GB per minidisc) and wasn't very convenient.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 12
yeah, seems like its hard to find a FLAC and line out; I heard the Cowon D2 has a line out through their "usb" port. =P I've gotta do a little research, cause with the line out, the cowon wins by a far shot. I've got a couple of FLAC albums, and I'm tryin to rip the rest of my CDS to flac, the discman just aint cutting it!

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 12
the cowon does not have a porper line out and will not. it is a good player but not nearly perfect nor even close. class d does not mean good - it means good battery life and big boomy bass and somewhat detailed treble. recent d amplifiers powered by home class mains mean big gains in perceived sound but have little to do with actual output.

i have owned class d amplifiers since 2003 and they are quite good but... they are completely for the person who wants big bass or artificial sound. most are developed for the anti-audiophile who just wants excitement ande not the album.

if a class-d can sound good, it must be developed from the ground up not to deliver only battery life and excitement. my home amp is class d and it is good but cerainly esques the mid-freqencies by heaps and bounds.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 12
If you convert your own mp3s from FLAC, volume match, and then do an ABX between the mp3 and FLAC versions for a decent number of trials (no peeking at results) you might be surprised..

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 12
are you sure about the cowon d2? because I have seen people selling cables for a line out through the usb port. hm. i will have to try it out myself before i make it official

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you sure about the cowon d2? because I have seen people selling cables for a line out through the usb port. hm. i will have to try it out myself before i make it official

I think that it is just 'fake' line-out, as what they said. The officials from Cowon told that the D2 doesn't have real line-out.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 12
HD5 has very good line-out!

I was shocked when I first listen to it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back