Sound Quality Overrated?
Apr 19, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I think you're right. I'm sure there are wine "experts" who can hardly enjoy the taste anymore

Speaking of which, out of all the wine I have tried with my girlfriend, ranging up to $300 a bottle stuff, an $8 bottle of Hogue Riesling is my favorite :p

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #17 of 31
i find that reading or focusing on something else helps me enjoy the music more. I still find some of my old music unlistenable, though. too bad.

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 31
We've had some discussions like this before...the "are you an audiophile or music lover" or "equipment geek or music lover". I think in the end it always comes down to this:

I love music first. I used to listen to prerecorded cassettes on a ****** mono cassette player, vinyl records scratched beyond belief on a ceramic cartridge AND a mono record player with a screw-on needle, FM radio on a lousy tuner, FM radio on a lousy mono car stereo...shall I continue?

The distinction is that I prefer that my music sound better...I enjoy it more that way. That's not to say that I don't enjoy it when it doesn't sound better, btw. For example, I spend a good part of my day listening to music on my computer rig (20 year old AKG K240's with M-Audio Audiophile USB...mostly streaming from Rhapsody) or in my car (eek!! factory CD player and speakers!!). I find it more enjoyable to listen on my main home rig, but I just don't get to do so very often. This is probably why I'm spending so much lately on portable stuff that's of a better quality.

But it's the music first....I believe it was markl who said that music is his drug, and the gear is his medium for delivery. The better the gear, the better the drug.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 31
I do think we overrate sound quality (on this and other 'audiophile' boards). But it's better than underrating it, like the majority of the music listening public seems to do.

Certain types of music call for a high level of SQ more than others. Anything cut "hot" and played loud (metal and rap for example) don't need everything classical does. You don't need good dynamic range or a low noise floor for heavy metal, as you never hear the noise floor in the first place. Nor do you need a perfectly neutral tonal balance. However, you may want a lot of detail and clean, tight bass. IMO classical and other acoustic genres are the most demanding of gear, particularly if you want it to sound realistic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Lately, I have found myself annoyed by the fact that some of my electronica compilation (dj mixes) albums have lots of noise in the recording - it almost seems like they were recorded off of a vinyl setup and you can hear the surface noise (I don't know if that makes any sense). I find this takes away from my listening experience.

It's probably digital clipping. See the link at the bottom of my .sig.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Well - me too. But there are many recordings which are technically vastly inferior to today's technology but nevertheless leaves you breathless in their interpretation or recording craftmanship, like late 1970's Philips recordings or Karajan's Aida on Decca from 1959. Still - to me SQ is the most important.

Well, I've noticed in many cases that some of the very best recordings I have were engineered pretty crudely, with an obviously low budget, and on equipment that wasn't quite stellar. But that's because very often, the simple production makes it sound like the whole band is playing together, in the same room. (This is more so for quieter recordings, I find.)

On the other hand, the thing that really pisses me off is digital clipping on recordings that were obviously made with a big budget. The most annoying thing is bad sound quality on an overproduced album.

Apr 19, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

I'd say it's way more likely that it's that the DJ mix was recorded exactly the way he said, from a vinyl setup. That's the way they should be, and most often are, made. Most underground dance music is only available on vinyl, and DJ's don't go find the original tapes and digitally master them for the mix. That kind of thing is generally not that hi-fi. And I can't think of very many situations where anybody would be playing a DJ Mix on the radio, if that is the only reason people have for that kind of bad sound.

Very interesting link, though, the second thing I've read on that in a week. I really am interested to know if music that normally wouldn't be played on commercial radio is mastered like this also. I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.... I'd like know for sure. The guy said almost all recordings, but depending on what he listens to that could mean a number of things. Does anyone have a visual of a WAV file for an album mastered this way? It'd be interesting to compare it to other stuff.

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

Yeah, I've read a few articles on this problem. Scary stuff. I'll check the CDs with Foobar's clipping indicator and report back soon.

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 31
OVER-rated?

Prosecution exhibit A:
Oasis - Be Here Now
RHCP - Californication

That should be all you need. Sitting htere and analyzing it when listening...well, no, you just need to start controlling your states of consciousness better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Often-times, though, it's hard not to notice, when things are made so poorly...

Apr 19, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 31
I enjoy listening both critically and just for fun. You just have to make a conscious decision about which one you're going to do before you sit down to listen.

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 31
I think I'm going in the other direction. I listen to a lot of underground metal and hardcore music. I never really used to care at all about sound quality as long as it gave me a good adrenaline rush. I've found myself starting to care a little more about SQ these days and seeing what some of these recordings are really made of.
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #27 of 31
I've said it before, but... Being an audiophile isn't about achieving perfect sound. It's about achieving optimal sound. The music is what matters.

See ya
Steve

Sep 27, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #28 of 31
card carrying member of Team Music First here.

having said that, below a certain SQ level... the worse a recording is, the better the music has to be for me to listen on a regular basis.

Sep 28, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #29 of 31
For the most part: Analog is God.

Most of us are digital and portable for many sound reasons. Nonetheless, it is and will be forever a deal with the devil.

Within reason, I found little in the logic: "My deal with the devil is better than your deal."

If you want "critical" sound. Sell the damn iPod.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #30 of 31
My ipod changed the way I listen to music for the better. You're not going to see me giving up my iPods anytime soon.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back