Sound quality on Muse Absolution
Aug 1, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
Nah, Black Holes And Revelations is poorly mastered but it's not on the same level as Absolution. BH&R sounds very compressed but it doesn't have a wall of static between you and the music like the one that's present in Absolution.

There is actual clipping on BHAR. On some tracks on Absoultion, Bellamy purposely uses "static" (e.ge Stockholm Syndrome), but that album is also severly compressed. Headphones can mask some of it, but on speakers both albums just sound like absoulte crap. Really sucks, but I enjoy their music too much to dismiss it b/c of sound quality.

Aug 1, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Compression. I'm sure it's been brick-walled. Zero dynamic range. Typical modern mastering.

Second that.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #18 of 21
I hate to revive an old thread to beat a dead horse, but what the hell...

BH&R, how did they mess the qual so much? I mean, the song could be immersing me from so many angles and engulfing me in works of technica art, but it just ends up, flattening. It's like I hear what they are trying to do, and how flawlessly it's excuted, but in the end, "nice try, I see what you tried to do there!!!"

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 21
From http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/T...ct_session=163

Howie Weinberg: »I mean, there was no such thing as digital. First of all, digital (makes a cutting motion) never existed, ok? Digital was something that someone said: ”Yeah, that may happen in ten years. Maybe! Or five years. Maybe we’ll hear something called ’digital.’ But in 1980, basically everything was quarter inch, 15 IPS, either Dolby, or no Dolby. And Dolby was a system for noise reduction, and everyone had Dolby on their cassettes, right? The Dolby A was a little bit better version of the Dolby on your cassettes. And they would hand me the tape. And I’ll be honest with you, at the time, you would just try to... Mastering is not only just making that lacquer, it’s making sense. Making the client’s tape, whatever they give you, on quarter inch, whatever the music is, you’re listening back and you’re thinking: ’I can make this sound better than this.’ So you EQ a little more high end, a little more bottom, compressing a little more, trying to tighten it up a little more, just trying to make: At this point in my career I just want to make my client love me. So he’ll just bring me all his records forever. In any way possible, I would have this client [satisfied], he would walk out of that room going: ”I like this guy, when I have more records I want him to do ‚em.” Bla bla bla.«

RBMA: »You said something: you said compression. Now, I mean, collecting Funk records from the 60’s and 70’s, that were sent off to be pressed without being mastered: I can definitely tell you I’ve heard records that weren’t compressed. Can you tell these people what compression does? «

Howie Weinberg: »Well, it’s the same thing, as dynamic limiting, or... (waves his arms to show a width in the air) I’m not even that familiar with it either. It’s more like, ah... (strokes his chin). All I know is that I push the button, (mimes pushing a big button) you turn it this way, it sounds ‚Yeahhh’...a little more this way, a little more that way – yeah (makes a thumbs-up sign)!«

RBMA: »Does it make it sound louder, quieter?«

Howie Weinberg: »You can make a lot of quiet things sound a lot louder; it can make something that sounds soggy tighter; it can make something that sounds a little harsh, a little smoother. I mean compression is like a really grey area in a lot of recording, because if you overuse it, you make everything sound smaller. And nobody wants small sounding records, put it that way. Everybody wants big, huge sounding records. And if you use compression in the right way, which I use, and a lot of mixing guys and recording guys use in the complete way, you can make something sound huge. Without having it sound small. You know, you put your record on: some records you put on and you go: ”Hmm, it sounds ok.“ You put some others on and they just (throws his hands out) leap in your face. Well, a lot of that has to do with compression. Not all of it! But a lot of it has to do with program compression. But that’s another grey area.«

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
I hate to revive an old thread to beat a dead horse, but what the hell...

BH&R, how did they mess the qual so much? I mean, the song could be immersing me from so many angles and engulfing me in works of technica art, but it just ends up, flattening. It's like I hear what they are trying to do, and how flawlessly it's excuted, but in the end, "nice try, I see what you tried to do there!!!"

My friend recently interveiwed them for a magazine and asked them about the excessive compression on their albums. I haven't talked to him about the interveiw yey. but will report back on their comments.

But yes, the compresion their last 2 albums is horrible and really detracts from enjoying the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back