Sound quality of Zen Vision:M against iPod G5
Jul 29, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #16 of 25
I'm going to pick one up this weekend, I'll let you know
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 25
JMO but it's much ado over nothing. I have the ZVM plus there are two 4G ipods and a video ipod in the house along with the Rio Cali and Rio Karma plus a shuffle.

From firsthand experience, I can honestly say the SQ differences are minimal and not a factor for me. I made the choice based on my preferences in software and GUI. That's what I'd do if I were you. Look at features, GUI, software, accessories that I found important, etc...

If I'm being honest, I found the Karma a far better portable when discussing SQ. It kicked butt and I truly miss mine. If I get a deal on a drive for it, I can promise you that the ZVM will be getting video time only as the Karma will assume lead audio player status. Heck, I think the Rio Cali sounds pretty darned great to be honest.

ZVM/ipod....6 of one and half dozen of another. Features my man...features. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with either player. Of course, the ipod has that "cool" factor for some. My daughters video ipod is one slick, slim sweetheart. Must say I was somewhat envious when I compared it to the aesthetics of my zvm but all I need do is remember iTunes and I'm no longer so envious.
eek.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofir87
On default, with no EQ settings, which sounds better?
+Which has a better bass?
+Which has a better mid range?
+Which has a stronger volume?
+Which has an overall reacher sound?

- ZVM has better bass imo, even better with the newest firmware + custom eq
- ZVM again
- The iPod is probably louder, but that's not a problem for me as I'm using IEMS and the ZVM can power them easily
- The ZVM, in my comparisons using same bitrate files, the ZVM beats the iPod, especially if you have the EQ turned on.

Jul 29, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacene
Now, you can get Redwine Audio (I think) and Rockbox mods for the 5G iPod, which may improve the audio capabilities considerably, whereas you can't at the moment for the ZVM. Plus, because of the iPod's popularity, you can get custom line-out interconnects for a portable amp, whereas the ZVM only has typical headphone-out interconnects right now, so ultimately with alterations, the iPod probably may leave the ZVM, & other comparable DAP's behind in audio quality. But OOTB, I think the ZVM gets a slight edge.....it's not any obvious difference, however, so it may just come down to personal interpretations.....

Good point. I cannot comment on the ZVM though (since I don't own one). I do have 3 DAPS, which I all use and all are now Rockboxed. iHP-140, X5L and iPod 5G video (in order of purchase). When I first heard my new iPod, I was dissapointed with the 'weak' SQ...I was comparing it to the iRiver and iAudio.. .but, I decided Rockbox the iPod. It made a HUGE difference. Rockbox makes a world of difference IMO. I'm listening to my iPod right now, amped with a PA2V2 and some AKG K81DJs. It's very pleasing indeed. Until now, I had thought the iHP140 was the best sounding DAP I own. I now like my iPod just as much, thanks to Rockbox.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 25
I've owned them both and i must say that they sound equally good. I tested them with my CX300 at the time so the differences weren't really noticable. I've sold my Zen Vision M before i got some high end phones so i never had the opportunity to test it with them. They sound amazing with the Ipod (5g).

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #23 of 25
Anyone with RMAA care to run a battery of test comparing to the two players. I am no ipod fanboy boy I would get the 5gen just for rockbox. Rockbox makes the 5thgen a better music player then the zen vision is with its current firmware. Nothing can match rockbox music feature set but if you care for video functionality at all I would go the route of the zen vision m; because its feature set with video is unmatched in it's size and form factor imo.

For video go zen vision m for purely audio go 5th gen. simple imo.

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 25
I like the sound of my Zen Vision:M a little more than the iPod 5G I had out of the headphone out. It sounds a little fuller to me, although a little more laid-back than the iPod output. But they are more similar than not, though. I never got to test the line-out on the iPod, but I think the ZVM's line-out is pretty good. I avoid using EQ so I can't comment on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back