Sound Quality of Digital Out (Coax/Toslink) from DAP’s?
Jan 19, 2024 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Andrew Rieger

500+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get some opinions on the quality of the digital outputs (coax/toslink) from modern DAP’s.

I’m not interested in USB because the Chord Mojo 2 is known to have white noise blast issues using the USB inputs. I still want to use the Mojo 2 as a portable DAC/Amp so the hunt begins for a portable digital source that offers coax or toslink.

I’ve been looking at the Fiio M11S and Hiby R6III but there are basically zero impressions on the quality of their digital outputs when feeding an external DAC.

I guess I’m one of the rare people looking to use a DAP just as a spdif digital transport. I know Xduoo makes a dedicated digital transport but it appears to be out of production and it also can’t do streaming.

The Fiio and Hiby seem like a good fit (once you get the right coax cable) but I’m just curious how these digital outputs stack up to quality desktop digital sources.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 2
If your going that route with a dac/amp and just need transport, I'd look at the mid-level players. You don't need the cost associated with DAC chips or high-output amps. Look low to mid-grade with people who state the operating system is easy to manage your library. For increased storage you could look at the Hiby RS2. Has dual sd's cards and a usb to RCA coax out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back