Sound quality of Creative EP-630 vs Sony MDR-EX71
Apr 18, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 17
For me, the Sony's have an edge in comfort and (less) microphonics, but the Creatives have a clearer sound, more conventional "Y" cords, and a sturdier build, while costing me less. Also, the wind would "whistle" through the Sony's when I wore them while walking outside, and I don't get that with the Creatives.

Not a night-and-day difference for me -- more of a matter of degree. After all, they're both low-end canal phones with a very similar form factor. I will say that I haven't worn my Sony's since I got the Creatives, if that's any help for you.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotdotdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,
how much better is the Creative EP-630 sound qualitycompared tothe Sony MDR-EX71?

Is the Creative clearer then the Sony, a bit or alot?

i was very happy with both phones. each seemed to have its goods. the bass i prefered with the creative while the sony with a good seal seemed tighter in the mids. both are good, both have similar seal and are not expensive.

the creative has a cable that probably will last longer, but the sony was on error, easier to insert than the creative.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 17
IMO, the Sony canalphones were very inferior to the EP630's. The EP630's have much better sounding highs and detail, as well as tighter bass and smoother mids. They're overall much better earphones, by quite a lot.

Insertion may depend on your ear but Sony's have a reputation for getting great fit (minus the EX90's).

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 17
I've heard the Sony MDR-EX71 and frankly, the Creative EP-630 blows it away in terms of noise isolation, deeper bass and clearer highs.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 17
Creative EP-630 is better than Sony Ex-71 as it has more details, tighter bass and not as muddy~

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 17
Well, EP630 seems to be better (not as muddy bass, not so harsh highs), but I know people which prefer EX71s over EP630s. Another option is buying Sennheiser CX300s: slightly better than EP630s, but a lot more expensive (watch out for faxes!)

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 17
I personally prefer the sound of the ex71 to the EP-630, but I would never buy the ex71 because the build quality is absolutely terrible. The cord is made of a putty-like substance that deteriorates within a couple months of normal usage (for a lot of people). If Sony ever fixed this problem I would go back to the ex71 in a heartbeat; otherwise its EP-630 for me. And the CX-300 is NOT worth the money; EP-630 is practically identical (some think it is, some think it isn't). Definitely a great buy for the money.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 17
I haven't heard the EP-630, but I used to own the EX71. They were quite muddy and felt very flimsy. (This is coming from a Grado/Etymotic fan so take that under consideration.) I wouldn't recommend them.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the EP-630, but I used to own the EX71. They were quite muddy and felt very flimsy. (This is coming from a Grado/Etymotic fan so take that under consideration.) I wouldn't recommend them.

I'm using my MDR-EX71s now as I'm sending off my UE sf.5Pros for a replacement (faulty cable). I used to think the EX71s were OK but it's a massive step up in terms of quality when you switch to the UEs (yes, I know, dual drivers etc etc). They're not bad per se but as other people have mentioned the build quality of the Sonys is shocking. Mine are quite old and I've never had any problems but people I know who have bought them more recently have all experienced the plastic wire insulation cracking and flaking off - I think maybe Sony changed what they're made of since I got mine.
If someone wanted some EX71s (as, say, a cheapo pair of IEMs to use when quality isn't quite so necessary) I'd recommend getting them second-hand, and maybe add that you'd want them to be two years old + just to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back