Sound quality of an itunes audio disk?
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mail4u

100+ Head-Fier
If one burns to an audio disk an iTunes lossless song, is its sound quality on the burned disk exactly the same quality it was on the CD disk from which it was originally ripped to iTunes? Would the burned song be a wave file? Any comments clarifying my thinking greatly appreciated.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 16
excactly what i was wondering some time ago when i burned a cd from itunes.
my guess is that the quality stays as the lossless file,but let's wait for more experts on the subject.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 16
1. It should be. As long as no errors occurred when ripping the CD, and you have stored it as Apple Lossless.
2. No, it will be a raw PCM file. No container, like WAV

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 16
I read not long ago that someone tried this experiment, although not with iTunes. He ripped a CD to WAV-files onto his computer, and then burned those onto a CD. He said it sounded almost the same, but lost a tiny bit of dynamics if I remember right. He said he had a very good speaker setup in his car where he tried it.
This is just what I read, just to clarify!

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by t0dy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read not long ago that someone tried this experiment, although not with iTunes. He ripped a CD to WAV-files onto his computer, and then burned those onto a CD. He said it sounded almost the same, but lost a tiny bit of dynamics if I remember right. He said he had a very good speaker setup in his car where he tried it.

Who does serious listening in a car?

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who does serious listening in a car?

If you have a very good soundsystem I would understand it. I'm sure there are REALLY good ones out there.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. It should be. As long as no errors occurred when ripping the CD, and you have stored it as Apple Lossless.

Thanks for this info krmathis. It puts my mind at ease as I'm creating a number of CDs for the car player and it's nice to know the quality will be retained.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 16
To my ears and on my system, a CD ripped by iTunes to Apple Lossless and burned to a Maxell CD Pro CDRs are as good as the stamped CD. I rip and burn with an external Plextor optical drive and set the burn rate at 8X. Use decent CDRs and care in ripping and burning and you should have no problem.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use decent CDRs and care in ripping and burning and you should have no problem.

I agree about using decent CDRs. With the cheap ones I find about 1 in 5 is a dud.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lossless should be the same as cd, so if someone heard a difference with a cd burnt from lossless there were errors in some part of the process or he is changing stereo systems in the middle.

All the cd's I have burnt from FLAC have been indistinguishable from the original cd.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lossless should be the same as cd, so if someone heard a difference with a cd burnt from lossless there were errors in some part of the process or he is changing stereo systems in the middle.

All the cd's I have burnt from FLAC have been indistinguishable from the original cd.

I am in full agreement.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by t0dy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

placebo..jpg

wink.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 16
I guess it depends on whether you check "adapt volume" when burning the CDDA or not. I tend to do that, as most of the CDs I burn happen to be samplers where iVolume / MP3gain normalization is a bare necessity. The result would of course sound "different" as even minor changes in volume are perceivable and often tell "not as good" to the untrained ear.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 16
The only thing i'd watch for is iTunes ripping your discs - i'm not convinced it handles errors well. For example, i always use EAC to rip my cds, and 1 disc wouldn't rip error free, no matter what i did. Booted up iTunes, and it ripped same disc to lossless in mins - no errors reported. The resulting rip skipped and jumped.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing i'd watch for is iTunes ripping your discs - i'm not convinced it handles errors well. For example, i always use EAC to rip my cds, and 1 disc wouldn't rip error free, no matter what i did. Booted up iTunes, and it ripped same disc to lossless in mins - no errors reported. The resulting rip skipped and jumped.

Was iTunes' error-correction on or off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back