Sound Quality Nexus 5 v/s Iphone 4s v/s Sansa Clip+
Nov 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DooMseYe

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I own an Iphone 4s and use an Etymotic Mc5 with it.

1) Etymotic Research MC5 v/s Audio Technica CKM-500is
I like the Ety details but feel that it lacks bass. I was wondering if a pair of Audio Technica CKM500is would take care of this. I just want a bit more bass than the Ety's. Plus, the full ear insertion is a hassle(even though the seal is amazing).
If you recommend the 500is, would accessory jack be a good place to buy it? I noticed that they offer the best price for it.
Note: I'm from India

2) Sound Quality Nexus 5 v/s Iphone 4s v/s Sansa Clip+ 
I'm moving to a Nexus 5. Would it's sound quality(using CKM 500is) be better than my current Iphone 4s. How would it stack up against the Sandisk Sansa Clip+. I could get the Clip+ if the sound quality of the Nexus is worse than the 4s.

Any other recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the GS3 which is supposed to have a good audio chip (wolfsten) but it can't match the SQ of my cheap HP laptop. I got a E17 to improve it but it doesn't make much difference. I don't think any handphone can match the SQ of a standalone DAP like Sansa player from what I gather. I just ordered a Sansa Clip Zip.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 10
So, it's better to get the sansa for sound quality, hands down.

Should I get the sansa clip+ or zip(I dont care for album artwork). What is rockboxing and can it be done for both of these?

What about Ety Mc5 v/s ckm500is?

Thank you

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 10
  So, it's better to get the Sansa for sound quality, hands down.
Should I get the Sansa Clip+ or Zip (I don't care for album artwork). What is rockboxing and can it be done for both of these?

I would assume the Clip Zip offer better audio quality then a lot of smart phones, but maybe not the really high priced one.

The Rockbox firmware takes the place of the factory installed firmware.
It add assorted features that the factory firmware does not offer.
Might even give the Clip Zip a little more battery life.
The manual for Rockbox for the Clip Zip is 221 pages.
http://www.rockbox.org/
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipzip.pdf

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 10
I would say that Sansa is better considering how bad the GS3 is. The Clip+ is better according to a poll thread here: Clip Zip Vs Clip+. I got the zip because I like larger screens. Both can be rockboxed. Rockbox is a 3rd party implementation.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 10
I have a Nexus 5. I haven't tested sound extensively but it certainly isn't bad sounding. I'd still expect a dedicated player to sound better though, I know my Cowon J3 does.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 10
The nexus 5 is great with my experience so far, especially if you install a custom kernel that allows faux sound mod.  Then you can increase the gain to a satisfying level without any noticeable distortion.  The clip zip or clip+ doesn't get loud enough for me and carrying an amp around ruins its portability.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 10
I just got my clip zip. It can go as loud as my GS3. The only con is the user interface which cannot be compared to PowerAmp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back