Sound Quality-New mP3 player purchase
Oct 18, 2004 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Athlon_Rulz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys...im about to invest in an MP3 player...possibly the iRiver iFP 790, or 890,

i was wondering about the sound quality...and the general quality of either players...also if anyone has any reccomendations for any players/recorders under the 150$ catagory...which isnt MD. I dont get MD here...so i cant buy it.

i have loadsa mp3s...and most are properly encoded....sooo uhh any help is greatly appreciated...

ps. i understand that mp3 doesnt equal good sound quality...but like my tracks are mostly 320kb encoded, or AAC encoded...sooo please bear with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 2
I had the 799.
Despite the audible white noise (I heart they cured it in later editions) the sound was good; clean and very dynamic. That BTW was the main reason I got rid of it; in noisy environments dynamic instruments like drums dominated the music, unless I pumped up the volume to get everything back in balance; then my ears started hurting. But if you listen in quiet surroundings (or with isolating phones) the sound was really impressive.
A few tips:
- do not use OGG; it reduces batterylife to half compared with MP3/WMA.
- uploading music takes lots of batterypower, since the palyer does not use the usb-power. IUploading 1Gb more then half drained a new duracell; use rechargables for uploading.
- carefull with VBR; go outside thel imits and the player is known to stop, reboot or freeze.

Despite these criticisms, I found it an impressive player with a very powerfull amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back