Sound Quality help.
Jul 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Helltech

New Head-Fier
So after taking suggestions from here I decided to get DT990s because of their open sound and nice bass. I have the 250 ohm pro version. Now I want to note I DO know you need an amp to get the most of these headphones, and I don't have one yet (still deciding which to get). However even without an amp I figured these would sound immensely better than my current headset;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158082&Tpk=Creative%20Fatal1ty%20Gaming%20Headset

After trying them out as soon as I got them I was extremely underwhelmed. They don't sound... that much better than the Fatal1ty to me. I let them play music for three days straight to do that whole "burn-in" thing, but that didn't seem to help either. 

Is it all because of the amp, or should I just return them before throwing money at them?

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
So after taking suggestions from here I decided to get DT990s because of their open sound and nice bass. I have the 250 ohm pro version. Now I want to note I DO know you need an amp to get the most of these headphones, and I don't have one yet (still deciding which to get). However even without an amp I figured these would sound immensely better than my current headset;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158082&Tpk=Creative%20Fatal1ty%20Gaming%20Headset
After trying them out as soon as I got them I was extremely underwhelmed. They don't sound... that much better than the Fatal1ty to me. I let them play music for three days straight to do that whole "burn-in" thing, but that didn't seem to help either. 
Is it all because of the amp, or should I just return them before throwing money at them?

Chances are the Creative Fatal1ty headset has a much lower impedance, like around 50-Ohms(?).
So would work fine in an un-amped headphone jack.

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Chances are the Creative Fatal1ty headset has a much lower impedance, like around 50-Ohms(?).
So would work fine in an un-amped headphone jack.

What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Both headphones are very loud, the 990s don't sound underpowered at all, but ignorance is bliss and all. 

Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Pro

Also when I plug the 990s into an old legacy receiver I have I only get sound of the left ear, I'm thinking that has something to do with that receiver being old as hell and just not worrying about it though. 

Quote:
Well for the DT990s I would say that an amp is pretty much a necessity.

That's what I was hoping but still thought they would sound better. I mean it seem like a lot to spend (180 for headphones and another 100 for an amp) to get slightly better sound than 60 dollar headphones, but maybe it will sound *a lot* better with the amp. I was just wondering if there really was that large of a difference in SQ between not having and having an amp.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Both headphones are very loud, the 990s don't sound underpowered at all, but ignorance is bliss and all. 
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Pro
Also when I plug the 990s into an old legacy receiver I have I only get sound of the left ear, I'm thinking that has something to do with that receiver being old as hell and just not worrying about it though. 

A receiver normally would do a good job of driving the 250-Ohm DT990 headphones.
Would you have access to any other receivers near by, to test the DT990s?

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
A receiver normally would do a good job of driving the 250-Ohm DT990 headphones.
Would you have access to any other receivers near by, to test the DT990s?

Naw unfortunately, I'm hoping to get a Bravo Audio V2 on the cheap shortly though. The receiver's headphone amp has to be bunk, because the headphone work when hooked up to the Creative X-Fi. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Ehh I didn't get it. Still looking into what to get. Will an amp also help the sibilance I'm experiencing with these headphones? It only happens on Youtube videos I watch (yay bad compression) but will am amp help alleviate this? It is very painful to me. Any advice would be helpful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back