Sound Quality Dilemma: Nexus S vs. Galaxy S vs. Desire S vs. iPhone 3GS
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #31 of 37
Some of us want a DAP all in one : phone and DAP for only one machine in the pocket
ATM the best choice is the Galaxy S or Nexus S (smartphone and the best DAC (with voodoo kernel) of the market)

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #32 of 37

The OP did mention that he wanted a primarily music player so I recommended getting something like a Cowon, with JetAudio/BBE support, the ability to play virtually any format, drag and drop transfer, and a great Wolfson DAC to boot (to me it's not just about the DAC, though to be honest Wolfson's are overrated anyway). I love my 4G Touch and 3GS as much as the next guy, but as purely music players they leave a lot to be desired. Most discussions re: smartphones as music players seem to revolve around the DAC, as if it's the be all and end all of everything and then degenerate into responses parotting the masses about some great Wolfson chip in this or that phone.

But hey, if the OP wants an all-in-one phone more power to him. :) No one's going to force him into buying a cheap Nokia. Then again the DAC in that N97 I used to have was pretty good too. But that wasn't exactly cheap.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #34 of 37

Quote:

The OP did mention that he wanted a primarily music player so I recommended getting something like a Cowon, with JetAudio/BBE support, the ability to play virtually any format, drag and drop transfer, and a great Wolfson DAC to boot (to me it's not just about the DAC, though to be honest Wolfson's are overrated anyway). I love my 4G Touch and 3GS as much as the next guy, but as purely music players they leave a lot to be desired. Most discussions re: smartphones as music players seem to revolve around the DAC, as if it's the be all and end all of everything and then degenerate into responses parotting the masses about some great Wolfson chip in this or that phone.

But hey, if the OP wants an all-in-one phone more power to him. :) No one's going to force him into buying a cheap Nokia. Then again the DAC in that N97 I used to have was pretty good too. But that wasn't exactly cheap.

It's not just the DAC. The Samsung G also has a superb hiss free powerful HP out. But the phone needs to be rooted. I use the Galaxy as my main portable player unless jogging etc. If I wanted to upgrade I'd probably go with one of the high end players such as the Hifiman or one of the Nationites maybe. Otherwise I can't imagine a mid-fi DAP (ipod, cowon etc) sounding any better then the SG.

EDIT: uhh oops thought you were talking about the Samsung phone and you were about the Apple one. Still on topic tho, so tl;dr for me the SG leaves nothing to be desired, not just for what it is but as a dedicated portable player.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #35 of 37

Quote:
Sorry to sorta take this in a different direction, but there seems to be a good number of Galaxy S owners here. I've heard the Galaxy S has disappointing battery life, but does anyone know how it fares when used solely for music? These reports about the device's SQ have me interested in picking one up for music/occasional video and maybe to play around with Android...

Pretty much what I do - My battery lasts me a good 2 days, light usage and listen to music ~2 hours a day. If you're willing to plug it in every day it should be no issue, I've used it for long trips before and it can easily hit 10 hours of music playback. I remember back when I was shopping for a phone there was some test where the Galaxy S was used for video playback for over 7 hours, though I assume all connectivity etc were turned off.

(Currently battery at 66%, unplugged for 12 hours and 3+ hours of music playback)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back