Sound Quality Dilemma: Nexus S vs. Galaxy S vs. Desire S vs. iPhone 3GS
Sep 30, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 37
I have both the iphone 3gs and galaxy s.. galaxy s is with voodoo sound.. and trust me it sounds better than 3gs... while 3gs's sound quality is excellent galaxy s has exceptional sound quality.. I had a chance to exchange galaxy s with lg optimus 2 dual core phone adding minimum amount but only thing that prevented me was galaxy s's sound quality... 

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #17 of 37
Hi,

The best phone for you for an intensive used as music player is the Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

It has the Wolfson chip and extension with microSD (up to 32Go) +8 Go native.
BUT YOU NEED TO root it and flash for a kernel VOODOO and the apk Voodoo Control (the free version)

The sound is very dynamic, detailed and for IEMs and reasonable headphonesnot needed an amp (E11 or anything else ...)

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #18 of 37
Rooting isn't hard at all these days... especially with Samsung Galaxy S phones. I'm pretty sure the i9000 has a one click root. Literaly... a one click root, as in you plug your phone into your computer and click the "root" button on the program (I believe it's called SuperOneClick) and it does the rest for you. Also, it is very easy to unroot your phone and go back to stock for warranty purposes. Many times they don't even check if it's rooted or not either. I've heard countless stories of people returning rooted phones and no problem arises. Don't be one of those people that feels overwhelmed by the whole root+custom ROM ordeal. It isn't as hard as it seems at all. Plus, the customizability of the Android OS (rooted or not) far surpasses the abilities of an iPhone. Samsung Galaxy S + Voodoo sound is the way to go.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #19 of 37
I do have a I9000, and it was also my first smartphone. Rooting isn't hard, and there are plenty of websites around that have step by step guides. Regarding the warranty, (I've fortunately not had to rely on it yet), it's possible to revert the rooting procedure so it won't be noticeable that you've done anything. 
Regarding the sound quality, I'm pretty happy with my i9000. I haven't actually used anything else to compare it to though, so take that with a pinch of salt. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #20 of 37
Just finished rooting my Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant) with SuperOneClick. Started using the Voodoo controls and wow...Nice improvement in sound quality while using these Meelec M6. And my AKGs sound much detailed.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 37
Sorry to sorta take this in a different direction, but there seems to be a good number of Galaxy S owners here. I've heard the Galaxy S has disappointing battery life, but does anyone know how it fares when used solely for music? These reports about the device's SQ have me interested in picking one up for music/occasional video and maybe to play around with Android...

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
Sorry to sorta take this in a different direction, but there seems to be a good number of Galaxy S owners here. I've heard the Galaxy S has disappointing battery life, but does anyone know how it fares when used solely for music? These reports about the device's SQ have me interested in picking one up for music/occasional video and maybe to play around with Android...

I use two batteries a day with it but this is what I mostly do with it
- 4 hours max of internet radio using TuneIn Radio with WiFi at work (battery drops to 60--70% thanks to heavy usage and changing stations)
- It could go 4-5 hours after that before dropping to 10% (show the low battery warning) while using MusicPlayer Pro with MP3/WMA between 128kbps - 320 kbps

I could go with it for 30-60 minutes more until it stops then a battery change is needed.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 37
Personnaly, I use the apk APN that disable all APN except the basic one to phone (so no internet ...) and your GS is still alive after 6 hours of MP3 listenning.
tbh I charge my phone only each 2 days. Without this apk, each days.

There is many ways to improve a GS

And to conclude, you can buy some sets on ebay from China. The set is 2 batteries and a charger.
There is some good reviews about these cheap batteries (something like 10$)

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
Personnaly, I use the apk APN that disable all APN except the basic one to phone (so no internet ...) and your GS is still alive after 6 hours of MP3 listenning.
tbh I charge my phone only each 2 days. Without this apk, each days.
There is many ways to improve a GS
And to conclude, you can buy some sets on ebay from China. The set is 2 batteries and a charger.
There is some good reviews about these cheap batteries (something like 10$)

Or instead of the APN trick just get a data toggle app/widget from the market, a lot to choose from. Custom ROMs also help a ton with managing battery. Although 2 batteries and a charger might sound great, these cheap foreign batteries are rubbish 99% of the time. They are not the capacity that they are advertised as.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 37
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not familiar with the APN and that stuff, I assume it's disabling some sort of functionality in the phone (killing the wireless from the "no internet" comment?). So roughly 8-10 hrs music playback, maybe push an hour or so more through custom ROMs, messing with settings, and killing unneeded functionality/processes?

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not familiar with the APN and that stuff, I assume it's disabling some sort of functionality in the phone (killing the wireless from the "no internet" comment?). So roughly 8-10 hrs music playback, maybe push an hour or so more through custom ROMs, messing with settings, and killing unneeded functionality/processes?

Just get a data toggle widget and turn off data when you don't need to connect to internet. It saves MANY hours of battery life. Data is one of the biggest battery killers, especially if you are ever in an area of low reception, your phone will just continue to search for a connection and wear down the battery a ton. Also, do not use a task killer. You think it probably help but it does not, task killers actually decrease battery life in android. This is because the android OS has an auto task killer built in and will kill apps when they are done running or when more RAM is needed. For example, you may close out of a game and then task kill it. But, who says the actual process of the game is done running? You may have just force killed something that was important in the background. Let android kill apps on it's own. JuiceDefender is also an excellent choice to maximize battery life. It's all automated and has to deal with turning off data at certain times of the day, backlight, gps, etc.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 37
With my Vibrant updated to Froyo 2.2, I just press & hold the power button that give me the option to kill the DATA CONNECTION. Why recommend a widget for doing this unless you are still on Eclair 2.1 ?

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 37

Consdering your major use as a "music player", ever thought about getting a cheap (and small) GSM phone from Nokia or Samsung to use as a phone/texting machine? Use the money left to get a good Cowon music player. If you're not one of those guys who pose status updates on Twitter or Facebook every two seconds from their smartphone then this may be a viable route.

Quote:
Considering the major use of my phone as a music player, which one should I go for? If rooting and flashing a custom rom is pretty risk free, and can be performed by looking at youtube videos (like jailbreaking) then is the Nexus or Galaxy the best option? If not, is it worth burning that much cash on a rather outdated iPhone. If audio quality is superior on an iPhone 3GS (as compared to a stock nexus s or galaxy s) and is just a few notches below them rooted with the Voodoo sound, then I think it would be worth it.

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #29 of 37
exactomento...that's what I did, as if you are really into high quality audio, you don't want all the stuff in your phone messing with the audio especially the wireless signals messing with my PA2V2 portable amp.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #30 of 37
That's pretty shortsighted.  The market's best music phones (Galaxy S devices with Wolfson WM8994, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4) offer really solid audio output.  I've got a Cowon D2 that I was "forced" to use back in the dark days -- you know, the days when chunky gray HTC bricks without 3.5mm headphone jacks ruled the land -- and I just can't hear the difference between it and any good music phone.  I switched from an iPhone 3GS to a Google Nexus One (built by HTC) about a year ago, and the quality disparity was really noticeable.  I ended up getting a Galaxy S which was initially disappointing because of the poor drivers, but after I loaded a ROM that used a Voodoo kernel and got Voodoo Sound going I was blown away.  The Voodoo Sound developer (supercurio on Twitter) absolutely did Samsung's job for them and completely fixed the driver implementation for the Galaxy S's Wolfson DAC.  I'd say it sounds at least as good as my 3GS did, but sadly I don't have it onhand anymore to conduct an ABX test with.

Over the last few years, I've owned a handful of smartphones that sounded horrible with my Shure SE530's (HTC Touch Pro, HTC Vogue, Nokia N82, Google/HTC Nexus One, HTC myTouch 4G) and a handful that sound great with them (iPhone 3GS, Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant), another Samsung Galaxy S (Droid Charge)).  Incidentally, the ones that sounded great were the ones with respectable DAC hardware inside.

The problem here and the stereotype that drives misinformed posts like the two above mine is that selling "a good audio chip" to the mass market is a tough thing to do. Look at HTC's new partnership with Beats by Dr. Dre.  So far, we have no evidence that they're actually using a good DAC in their phones.  They're just packing in overpriced headphones that admittedly mop the floor with the iBuds most consumers are used to, but do nothing to help out people who already own good headphones.

You might be tempted to praise Samsung in all of this, but seriously, hold your applause.  The Galaxy S II which looks otherwise-amazing and should have been the perfect device inexplicably eschews the awesome Wolfson DAC from the original Galaxy S and uses a lesser Yamaha chip that pales in comparison.  The VoodooSound developer was extremely frustrated at the change, because the new hardware wasn't even worth his time to write new drivers for -- heaven forbid, Samsung actually include good hardware and write their own drivers.

In any case, the future's still a pretty big black box.  Hopefully the iPhone 5 will include some worthwhile hardware that will spur the rest of the market to react.  In the meantime, an original Galaxy S device (including the Nexus S, which is the same hardware) is still a really modern smartphone that offers stellar audio output.

(this next bit only applies to Americans, but it's still worth mentioning)

-- If you're on Verizon, care about music, and still have an unlimited LTE plan, the Droid Charge is pretty much a no brainer.
-- For T-Mobile, it's basically between the Nexus S and the Galaxy S 4G -- the Nexus S has a better software situation going on, but the GS4G offers 48GB total capacity and has slightly quicker download speeds.
-- On AT&T, it's between an iPhone 4, a Samsung Captivate, and a Samsung Infuse.  The Infuse is huge -- too huge for my tastes -- but it's got an improved screen over the Captivate/Vibrant/Nexus S.  The iPhone 3GS is also a valid option, but if you can afford AT&T's pricing you can afford a more recent smartphone.  If you can't afford the latter, switch to a less-expensive carrier.
-- Sprint's a sucky place to be.  Your only option with a decent DAC is the original Samsung Epic 4G, and it's got a keyboard.  Sprint's prices are also crappy, and their WiMax network is deployed on a useless band.  Avoid Sprint, avoid low-quality audio, avoid pointless keyboards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back