Sound problems with USB to DAC/amp (static and channel reversal)
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 30
I can't say for sure what the cause of all the crackling and static is, but I do know that when problems arise due to the running of many applications at one time, the primary culprit is usually insufficient RAM.
Adding RAM is one of the least expensive ways to upgrade performance, and something you might consider looking into.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 30
Well, I have a gig of RAM, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 30
You can try turning off your laptops windows sound scheme, I've heard that can cause issues when using ASIO. Settings/control panel/sounds and audio devices/sounds tab choose no sounds.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 30
Everything works fine using the Fubar II then goes to a static--what gives?!!!

Network connection is excellent. 1 gig of ram. Happens from hard drive or "net music service. Defraging hdd now to see if it helps. Will try and kill any extraneous programs.

Fubar sounds fantastic but when it goes to static-scares the hell out of everyone.

Not using ASIO or an special drivers.

thks for any more ideas/feedback.

PM

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 30
I'm not using ASIO. I've been listening to iTunes and browsing the web for a few hours now, the sound is still good. But I expect that if I now start playing a game or using Photoshop CS3 or a different CPU hogging activity, the static will chime in. I already have almost all windows sounds turned off.

Edit: not 10 minutes later: I started transfering 1.5 gig of audiobook from my laptop to my iRiver H340 while listening to music through my Cantate. Halfway in, very loud static! This is so very annoying!!! Turning my Cantate off and back on again and restarting iTunes, sigh.

It's definitely the laptop, and it must have something to do with the CPU load.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 30
I downloaded Foobar2000 v0.9.5 beta 9. Works great. The best thing is that the static is gone. I haven't done extensive testing yet but I did launch Photoshop CS2 with no ill affects.

I am running 2gig of ram on my desktop with Vista Home Premimum and my memory usage is up around 58% with mIRC, IE7 and Foobar running.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #22 of 30
Yeah, but in my case, the problem also occurs when I don't have any audio applications running at all.

Dec 30, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #23 of 30
i run an application on my laptop that allows me to monitor my cpu usage, memory, disk, network, processes, temperature, etc. on the fly. by running your music and/or opening other programs, you should be able to see if any part of your computer system is being taxed.
this might help eliminate possible causes, or zero in on some.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 30
i dunno about the rest....but no matter what i do the sudden change to loud static persists no matter what i do. ive even tried to change the power extension cable (was using an old one previously) to a brand new one and its still the same....ive given up on USB DACs :p

but i really do think its something to do with the USB controllers. as stated in previous post, even my BT dongle has issues. my thumbdrive has trouble reading sometimes as well..but very rare.

formatted PC didnt help either. even with NOTHING running on the background except the audio application it still happens..tried running on Foobar + KS, Foobar + DS, BS Player, even during gaming this happens. even tried changing the opamps. still no difference.

again, im sure its NOT my fubar unit itself, as i have sent it in for warranty and Uncle Wilson of Jaben replaced with a new one...but it still happens.

i have full intentions on trying it on another PC.....just that im too lazy to unplug everything out
biggrin.gif

sigh
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #27 of 30
Greets all,

Great site, been trolling here for months..which got me hooked on head-fi.  
gs1000.gif

Looking to revitalize this thread to see if any additional information has been uncovered regarding this issue which has been plaguing me.  I have a Mav-Audio D1and like it, but the DAC section has its limits.

I have the same issues described above, when connected to my HP 8540W laptop (docked).  Don't have the issue on my home workstation, and an iBasso D4 recently worked great on my work laptop...so the issue seems to be between the Maverick D1 and my HP running Win7/64 with i7 quad-core and 8GB RAM.  Don't know if its a DAC timing issue or something else, but thought I would put it out to the group to see if there are known workarounds.

Cheers.

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #29 of 30
Do you know what DAC chip your DAC uses? The Fubar II mentioned uses the PCM2702, and from the pictures I see of the Cantate it also uses the PCM2702. I do not have any problems with my PCM2702 based BantamDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back