1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sound problem with Soundblaster Z

1. plath
    I have a Soundblaster Z. I've been using the ports on the back of the sound card for my headphones, mic and speakers.

But now only the 3rd most port works for playback now. My headphone port on the front panel and on the card don't work. It's not a problem with my speakers or headphones.

When I say 3rd port, I mean the one in the middle after mic and headphones:

[​IMG]
    I can't see my headphones in Windows playback devices either.

Can anyone please tell me what the issue might be?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. plath
    fixed now NP

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Seems like your SB-z card is defective.

4. plath
    Sorted it out.

Still don't know what happened though. I'm guessing it's just Creative drivers or Windows being buggy.

Reseated the card, but had no joy. But I got everything working again when I deleted all the drivers and Creative software and reinstalled the latest.

For a few hours I thought I needed a new card...

5. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Have you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?
    Slight chance it might interfear with the function of the SB-Z card.

6. nttdemented
    FYI, came across this thread looking for some info about my own SBz. This happened to me regulary until I disabled Windows' auto driver updates. If for whatever reason Windows Update injects it'w own "new" driver for the sound card in an update headphone output stops working. Re-installing Creative's driver solves it. But disabling auto driver updates from WIndows Update solved it from happening again permanently.