Sound problem with my new Super.fi 5 Pro
Oct 7, 2005 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Icehawk

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a set of the Super.fi 5 Pros today and I noticed that sound out of the left side fades in and out. If I shake the cord/DAP it will cause the sound to fade in and out
frown.gif
What gives - is the unit bad or am I doing something wrong?

Oct 7, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 9
It's possible that the minijack connector or the minijack itself has a bad connection. Try plugging the SF into another player and see if it can be replicated.

If yes, then it's the SFPro. If not, then it's probably the minijack on your player.

Oct 7, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 9
I had a problem with one side going soft on my Super.fi Pros and I eventually tracked the problem down. I noticed if I squeezed the earpiece that kept getting faint, it would come back full force. Closer inspection of the unit revealed that the side that was fading in and out had somehow had that little emlem thingie placed just a little bit off center. I got a pair of sharp tweezers out and worked the emblem back to where it fit just right in the outer casing hole that it was designed to occupy. After doing this, I have had no more troubles with that side. Apparently, having that little emblem just a bit off center put enough pressure on one of the driver units to cause it to not perform correctly. So, anyway, this may or may not be your problem, but before you RMA them, have a look.

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 9
After playing around some more it seems the problem is where the cable splits - I am not happy after spending 5x more than the last set of phones I had that I have these problems. They are essentially unusable
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 9
UE is a very accomidating company. If you send Mike Dias an e-mail they may be gracious enough to actually send you out a replacement cable (they are user-replaceable). They were nice enough to do this for someone who's cable shorted out at the memory wire within a few days of use. When I tore my foamies off their stalks I sent them an e-mail explaining the situation and to my surprise I got 20 replacement foamies in the mail a few days later!

I would try getting in tough with them before you get too angry.

I think this is Mike's e-mail:

mdias@ultimateears.com

Oct 7, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 9
I had the same problem but called UE service deparment at (866) 837-7734 and they overnighted a new pair of cables. They work fine now. Man to me they sound really good ( that's just me )
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks guys - great forum & help. I think I fixed it by pushing a bit on the cable where it goes into the plastic splitter but I'll email UE and see if they'll freebie a new cable just in case.

Do any other tips fit on these? I also bought a set of tri-flange earplugs and I think I'd like to use that type of plug on the Super.fi - right now I'm using the double-flange which seems the most comfortable.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I just wanted to say I got an email back from UE asking for my color preference and shipping address - great service! Makes me much happier about spending so much for some headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back