Sound perception and flu
Feb 24, 2004 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

visia

500+ Head-Fier
I have gottena cold or flu since Sunday. INterestingly, when I tried listening to my headphones (HD 25-1), the sound seems much hissier and bass is much less pronounced. Is it a common phenomena or something is wrong with headpohones? I do not feel clogged ears, but I assume they are becuase of cold.

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by visia
Is it a common phenomena (...)

Definitely yes, it is.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 28
Thanks for the reply!

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 28
It all mainly deals with the fact that your ears and your nose are connected, thus if you have a stuffy nose, then at times your ears suffer from it to. I don't get colds a lot but whenever I do, everything is just off slightly, whether it be how I feel, how I hear, how I eat, or how I perceive certain things. I hate what colds do to you.

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 28
Normal.

Your lymph nodes are swollen, and even if you have no ear congestion, thats changing the internal structure of your body a little bit (temporarily) and altering your perception of sounds. I notice that my perception of sound overall is altered during the first 2 days of a cold when I have a mild fever and some aches. If I dont have any clogging of the eustachian tubes (the tubes going from the ear to the back of the mouth) then my hearing is back to normal, but otherwise weird stuff happens. If my ear is clogged my hearing goes to crap.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 28
I've had flu for 9 days now, and I am just starting to get over it, today for the first time I feel a bit better. And let me say that after the second day, my hearing was completely knackered. It sounded as though I had cotton wool in my ears, and when they clicked, it sounded like I was underwater. My ears are still clicking and my hearing is not 100% but it is getting better. In retrospect, its the best time for it to happen to me, because I am ampless at the minute, so I cannot really listen to my cans anyway, until my new amp gets here.

Take some decongestants, they do seem to work a treat.

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 28
Also, your sinuses are key components to the auditory process and an imbalance or clogging in the sinus can drastically change the way your headphones sound. Even the slightest change in pressure in the sinus can produce a muddy and hollow sound. Headphones magnify the problem b/c they are they are a direct source to your ear and brain -- normal auditory function with a cold is not as effected b/c the brain can filter many less-loud sounds on its own.

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 28
Wov, thanks for the explanations!

Feb 24, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 28
I agree with everyone's posts so far, but I feel as though there is also a change in brain chemistry during sickness, particularly with the flu. I can remember being very sick and feeling as though the smallest sound was amplified 10X. Also, I would interpret sound in different way altogether -- sounds would take on a dark and disturbing character. Hard to explain
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
Also, your sinuses are key components to the auditory process and an imbalance or clogging in the sinus can drastically change the way your headphones sound. Even the slightest change in pressure in the sinus can produce a muddy and hollow sound. Headphones magnify the problem b/c they are they are a direct source to your ear and brain -- normal auditory function with a cold is not as effected b/c the brain can filter many less-loud sounds on its own.

I just got over a bad sinus cold and can verify this. Everything sounded murky and muffled, and bassy music seemed to raise the sinus pressure n my head, causing excruciating headaches.

D.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 28
This is bad, I too have a set of HD-25's and I have a sinus infection and fluid behind both ears now. Could it be related the Senns?
wink.gif

I haven't even tried to put them on since I got sick, I can barely hear people in the same room talking to me and the thought of sealed headphones with as stuffed up as everything is is not appealing. The way I feel a pair of 650's would sound terrible!

Hope you feel better soon.

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 28
Well, I got my flu from the friends of mine, who had it, definitely not Senns. That the wrong time of the year again. I hope everyone feels better soon.

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 28
Shasha
Quote:

This is bad, I too have a set of HD-25's and I have a sinus infection and fluid behind both ears now. Could it be related the Senns?

No, but now you know what they mean by "the veiled sound of the Sennheisers."
biggrin.gif

That really is the pits. I've got chronic sinus trouble, so I can sympathize. I hate those days when I talk and hear my voice reverberating down the corridors of my head.

Here's for a quick recovery.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back