Sound of AKG K14P boxy and muted?
Jan 12, 2006 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vid

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought the K14P buds to replace my old Sony E828. From what I had heard (as in, heard others say) the K14P is supposed to sound bright and clear. Well, mine sound boxy and muted. I was actually horrified when I first tried them. I'm not good at describing sound, but classical music sounds "stuffy", like the highs are being repressed by something. Metal has the kind of boxy sound which, again, I can't describe too well.

Were my Sonys so overly bright that I got used to the sound (had them for two years or so and used them every day), or do I have a bad pair of K14P? I own the K271S from AKG, and they sound nothing like this, they're very clear and wonderful. I still kind of prefer the K14P over the E828 due to the increased detail, but this strange sound slaps me in the face every time I start a song.

May 14, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by vid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the K14P buds to replace my old Sony E828. From what I had heard (as in, heard others say) the K14P is supposed to sound bright and clear. Well, mine sound boxy and muted. I was actually horrified when I first tried them. I'm not good at describing sound, but classical music sounds "stuffy", like the highs are being repressed by something. Metal has the kind of boxy sound which, again, I can't describe too well.

Were my Sonys so overly bright that I got used to the sound (had them for two years or so and used them every day), or do I have a bad pair of K14P? I own the K271S from AKG, and they sound nothing like this, they're very clear and wonderful. I still kind of prefer the K14P over the E828 due to the increased detail, but this strange sound slaps me in the face every time I start a song.

simple, you got the volume control down at its minimum!~ (which is the default setting to some k14ps)

for words to describe cans, "bosy" would probably be the last one to be linked with a k14p which is utterly transparent. so is its counterpart k314p, which is essentially the same thing with a different color scheme.

hope you haven't returned your k14p yet....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back