Sound matters- Xonar Essence STX or Sound Blaster ZXR?
May 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
I have the STX for total sound quality (with k701, and i'm really happy with it).
Anyway, I'm planning to get another 5.1 card for gaming (need to connect a 5.1 set) so I'm reading a little about the Xonar Phoebus vs Creative Sound Blaster ZXR. 

I was reading about some people who says the ZXR actually SOUNDS BETTER (in terms of hi-fi sound quality) than the STX. what the hell, I says...? I could have swear that for music the STX is the best sounding card out there, and alot of people here would tell the same. but actually, did anyone compare those two in terms of sound quality? does the ZXR really sounds better?

Also, make it as another question- which one is better for gaming use (5.1 high quality speakers + headset), the ZXR or the Phoebus?

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 4
I haven't compared them but any difference in sq for stereo music may be neglectable as they share the same architecture DAC and are both similarly filtered in their power supply stage onboard. What may sound different are using different OP:s on both cards, but as they are swappable in both cases one may arrive to the same result in both cases. Creatives new driver may be a tad nicer than Asus alternative but not enough so to defend a new purchase.

For gaming though, Creative is a winner thank's to their drivers, but then the much cheaper Soundblaster Z is perfectly good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back