Sound Magic HP200 vs. Fostex T50RP MK3 (unmodded)
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MattFH

New Head-Fier
So, which one is better, which would you recommend? I like neutral, unveiled, not too dark sound (nor too sibilant, but I think dark is generally more tolerated), good soundstage and imaging.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 9
The Soundmagic HP200 is like an improved Beyer DT990, so the HP200 has a strong bass/treble.
I might guess(?), the T50RP is more balanced (but just a guess).

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 9
If you're considering the Fostex, I hope you've budgeted for a powerful enough amp. It's well known to be difficult to drive.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Alright, thanks, guess I'll give the Fostex a try and see if I like it. I have an ODAC+O2-Amp, which I blieve is only moderately powered, but I suppose I will hear something.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Alright, thanks, guess I'll give the Fostex a try and see if I like it. I have an ODAC+O2-Amp, which I blieve is only moderately powered, but I suppose I will hear something.

My O2 head amp can decently (but the my tube amp is better) drive my 600-Ohm Beyer headphones, so should do ok with the T50RP headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 9
There are some amps that would drive a high impedance headphone well but struggle with a low impedance low sensitivity planar. However, I think the O2/ODAC should be fine. The devices I (happily) plug my T50RP into are all less powerful.

Max Output (33 Ohms) 613 mW
Max Output (150 Ohms) 355 mW​

Some folks insist you need something like the A-100 that would put up to 8 watts into the T50RP at 50 ohms in order for it to sound the best it can. I have not tested that claim myself.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I must say, without any serious burn-in, the Fostex can have a sort of nice timbre/resonance, but they don't sound tonally good. And the soundstage is average. One can hear that they are only "half-open". (Not sure if the amplification makes a real difference here.) Actually, the understated reputation seems a pretty fair representation of them, unfortunately.

I also have tried the AKG K702 but found them way too dry and lifeless. The Fostex have a little more life to the sound, but like I said just don't sound very good or appealing. I think I have to go a notch higher, like the AKG K712 or Philips Fidelio X2.

I bet I would find the Philips very appealing, for one, but at the same time I suspect I might find them too expensive for a lack of balance. The AKG are said to be better than the older versions, but opinions are strangely understated as well, on the whole. (I've also looked at the Hifiman, but they are all too expensive for me and where I am.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back