sound level meter?
Apr 5, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 23
the analog meter is fun to use in a gadgety sort of way: twiting knobs, switches... all that fun stuff that is rare for my generation.

Apr 5, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
Zbuddah---
As for the Rat Shack SPL gauge, don't get the real cheap analog one (with a physical needle). Get the entry level digital one--about $40, but much more accurate, especially for very focused noise, like from heafdphones. Cat # 33-2055.
smily_headphones1.gif

I own both meters and they are identical as far as accuracy is concerned. The digitel one is more flexible but NOT more accurate.

Apr 5, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

I own both meters and they are identical as far as accuracy is concerned. The digitel one is more flexible but NOT more accurate.

oh i see hmm i guess i have to see for myself to find out which one i prefer.

i've got home depot and wallgreens pretty close so i'll look for the plugs there. man thanks people

you guys are definitely a chasm of help.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #19 of 23
oh i forgot one more question.

can the spl meter measure peak levels, like some times the music peaks and i was wondering if the meter could tell me how loud that peak was.

thanks

Apr 5, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by zbuddah
oh i forgot one more question.

can the spl meter measure peak levels, like some times the music peaks and i was wondering if the meter could tell me how loud that peak was.

thanks

The digital one has that feature... min - max recording
Cheers!

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 23
Here's a quick rule-of-thumb for the air-compressor... If you find yourself wincing, jumping, shying away or another form of physical reaction to the noise, it's too loud. At my work, they make me take OSHA approved audio safety classes (but then I live in headphones).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 23
I've got the digital meter from Radio Shack, and it works quite well. It does have peak level, and data hold. I went with digital mainly because easy peak level check. Some people may prefer the analog, but I think it's easier to read exactly what the number is on the digital. Maybe not more accurate in measuring, but for reading the output, its more accurate than following the jumping needle.

It's not very expensive, and well worth the investment.

-Jeff

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
As for the Rat Shack SPL gauge, don't get the real cheap analog one (with a physical needle). Get the entry level digital one--about $40, but much more accurate, especially for very focused noise, like from heafdphones. Cat # 33-2055.

The analog meter version is preferred because
1) it's just as accurate
2) it costs less.

Unless you absolutely need to look at digits or use peak hold, there is absolutely no reason to spend more. For judging loudness, you want a running average reading, and the analog one will actually give you a better idea of the range (you can more easily see where the needle spends more time in its swing)

I don't know where you got the claim that the digital one is more accurate, but the analog meter's accuracy is well known and proven. Even its slight nonlinearity at lower frequencies is well documented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back