Sound Isolation of Shure SE425s
Oct 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rangel28

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am writing about your opinion of the Shure SE 425s, specifically sound isolation and bass.
I have been using the SE 420s however the left ear monitor no longer works. Shure has offered to replace my 420s with the SE 425s, for $144 (they no longer repair the 420s), and I am debating if I should get these or something else. I read the reviews of the 425s, and they are generally pretty good, however I was wondering if someone can tell me about sound isolation. I commute on a train each day and while I don't expect IEMs to cut out all of the noise, I am looking for headphones that will provide decent isolation, true sound, and good bass. I currently also use Monster Gold Turbines as well, and I love them. The price of the 425s, at $144, seem like a good deal.
Thanks for your help. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 8
I have the 425s, and used to own the 530s (but not the 420s). I think some have said the newer models have a slightly shallower fit, but I still think the 425s have great isolation! They are similar or equal to my W3 and W4, and more than enough to the train. With olives or yellow foamies, they provide more than enough isolation for my daily commute on the train in Japan!

And if you liked your 420s the 425s are a no-brainer! Some may complain about their lack of bass, but I actually slightly prefer them to my W3s! The only annoying thing to me is the ridiculously long cable! (1.6m)

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, the Shure cuts off outside noise well (when listening to music, even on low volumes). Bass is great if you listen to classical music (just the right amount and not that punchy like the timpani 
rolleyes.gif
). But for rock or pop, I think they lack the punch.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 8
I think it's better to buy new IEMs like EX600(comparable to SE425)and they sound fantastic with above average isolation.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Hi,
I am writing about your opinion of the Shure SE 425s, specifically sound isolation and bass.
I have been using the SE 420s however the left ear monitor no longer works. Shure has offered to replace my 420s with the SE 425s, for $144 (they no longer repair the 420s), and I am debating if I should get these or something else. I read the reviews of the 425s, and they are generally pretty good, however I was wondering if someone can tell me about sound isolation. I commute on a train each day and while I don't expect IEMs to cut out all of the noise, I am looking for headphones that will provide decent isolation, true sound, and good bass. I currently also use Monster Gold Turbines as well, and I love them. The price of the 425s, at $144, seem like a good deal.
Thanks for your help. 

$144 is a steal for the 425's.  I had both 420's and 425's.  Isolation is really good - they are a bit shallower, but I went up one size in the 'olives' and they fit perfectly.  I used them many times on long distance flights - isolation is very good.

Biggest difference between the 425 and the 420 is fit (IMO better fit - you can sleep with them in), better top end (not much - but there is a little more sparkle).  Bass and mids are about the same.  Really nicely balanced IEMs IMO - if you liked the 420's you'll enjoy the 425's.

If you're looking for more bass though - you might have to look elsewhere (535 maybe if Shure will do a deal).

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 8
I think it's better to buy new IEMs like EX600(comparable to SE425)and they sound fantastic with above average isolation.

This makes no sense, the EX600 has average isolation at best. The SE425 like the other Shures, has great isolation a notch below the best (Ety/Customs). The Shure SE425 seems like a nice product (more interesting than the SE535 imo), I'll go for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back