Sound isolating earmuffs for Audio Technica CM7's?
Mar 4, 2005 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
This is a post for all the earbud owners out there. Quite a few of you have talked about how wearing earmuffs with earbuds makes for a nice experience, and I just was wondering: Which earmuffs do you like to use to block out outside sound when you're wearing these on a plane or something to that effect? If you could provide links, that would be excellent.

Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi

I think that unfortunately there will be a problem using earmuffs with the CM7 and CM5 because of their "stick" design. Apart from the possibly reduced isolation where the "stick" part of the phones protude from the earmuffs, the position of the phones will be affected. I've found that the single bggest factor affecting the sound (the effect on the bass being the most obvious) of normal earphones is positioning, and I already find it difficult to position them optimally even under normal circumstances.

Long ago I tried using earmuffs with the MX-400 in the hope of avoiding the more costlier canalphone alternatives, but once the earmuffs touch them slightly (even the cords) the phones were moved from their original positions. I gave up and eventually ended up with the EX70, EX71, HJE50, and ER-4S .....

But earmuffs are more useable with (semi-?) canalphones of the EX71 genre since they are not so easily dislodged.

However, I'd be most interested if anyone does manage to find earmuffs to work with the CM7/CM5, as I also recently got hold of the CM7(Ti).

Talking about positioning, do you have any problem getting your CM7 to stay in place? I find that the most frustrating part about using them.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Yup, the CM7 is a hard earphone to get a nice fit. The problem I have is with my right earphone, my ears vary from the left to the right. I suggest doing the Radio Shack foamy mod that everyone talks about. I tried it out (right side only) and it does fit better, but the foamy itself is pretty loose.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 5
instead of earmuffs, how about just using a good toque? it's not as sound insolating, but it did the trick on keeping my stock earbuds in for the few days between purchase of my hd1 and when my ex71's arrived.

May 30, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 5
I am just goin to buy a pair of CM7 and I wonder if you think that using a set of Sony Groove pad (you know, this plastic thing that goes into your ear) would be possible with the CM7 ? Apparently they will be near the size of the exterior of the CM7 drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back