Sound Isolating Alternatives to Shure SE215 (warmer/fuller sounding)
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JethroD

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm in need of some earphones/headphones with very good sound isolating characteristics for use in an office setting. The source will be my computer (Mac) and I need to block stuff like whistling, desk tapping, humming, loud conversations, etc. So not the kind of stuff ANC would block. They also need to be comfortable enough to wear for a few hours at a time. I just don't want to have to turn up the volume to cancel the office noise, as I already have enough hearing damage...

I purchased and am trying a pair of Shure SE215 (the blue 'special edition' models) based on all of the great reviews I've read. I like a lot of the functionality they have (MMCX connectors, BT2 option, comfortable, etc.), but no matter what I've tried, they just do NOT sound good to me. I would describe it as if someone had taken a huge scoop of 100-250Hz or so out of the mix. Like the bass player took the night off and the keyboard player crushed his left hand in a car door. I wouldn't consider myself a 'bass maniac', expecting mini-truck bumping madness from tiny earphones. I just like to hear all frequencies and what I would consider a 'warm / full' sound. To me these sound 'anemic / hollow / distant'. But I know everyone hears differently, and I know I have some hearing damage from a lot of concerts in my youth (though most damage is in high frequencies).

I did try every one of the 6 included tips (3 foam, 3 silicon). Some were better than others, but none made it sound 'full' unless I put pressure with my fingers on the outside of the earphones. So I tried the 'Sugru' trick, packing some of that in the medium-sized silicone tips to get a 'custom fit' of my ear. This helped a bit, but still lacking. I can't imagine getting a much better seal without going to custom molds.

The only thing that helped a bit was using the 'EVEN Earprint' functionality of my phone's Napster app to make a custom profile based specifically on my hearing with these. This DOES make a pretty big difference (though still a bit lacking in low end), and I might keep them if they always sounded like this, but it's limited to my phone (desktop/browser version doesn't have it), so not an option for most of the time. On a side note, I REALLY like the concept of this and wish it would be more widely implemented to help compensate for the different ways people hear (like tuning PA speakers to a room). I have a set of Avantree Aria Me headphones for TV watching, and the custom profiles also made a huge difference (I would have def returned them without this ability).

- Any recommendations of other earphones/headphones that would have equally decent sound isolation, but just sound more 'complete'?

Here's some that have come up in my research as options. Would love feedback.
- Etymotic ER4XR (I worry these wouldn't be much better than SE215s)
- Mackie MT-240
- Even Earprint E1 (not sure how good at sound isolating, I just like the concept of customizability)
- Duraphones / Duraloops (same idea of customizability, but Duraphones rate as very uncomfortable, and Duraloops as unreliable)
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro (these are geared a bit towards mixers / drummers in regards to isolation. I suppose I'm not opposed to big headphones if they're the best option)
- Beyerdynamic DT770 M (these are supposed to be even better isolation, but some say they have NO bass)
- Other????

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 21
What is your budget?

Have your tried the Shure triple flange ear tips? I cut off the third (smallest) flange, to make it more comfortable, and so the treble isn’t as rolled off. These tips provide maximum isolation, and effectively boost the bass. They are inexpensive, and you can adjust the length by trimming the stem to you preference.
https://www.amazon.com/EATFL1-6-Sleeves-earphones-SE102MPA-Versions/dp/B00275F2GS

While the isolation may not be quite as good as the Shure, it is still good on the Shozy Form 1.1. Plus it is warm, with a lot of powerful, yet clean bass. Isolation is best with foam ear tips.
https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Earphones-Beryllium-Detachable-Audiophile/dp/B07YV1PCBL

With similar isolation levels as the Shozy, the FiiO FH3 also has deep, impactful, and clean bass.
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-FH3-Earphones-Resolution-Smartphones/dp/B08DHTM4N5

All of these options are on Amazon, so you have an easy return policy (but please don’t return used triple flange ear tips 🤢).

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.

I'll try to get the triple-flange tips if I can find some that would ship in time (I have to return the SE215 by end of Jan.). I do like my triple-flange musicians earplugs. But would they really make that much of a difference in sound over the Sugru-loaded tips I made?!?

Regarding budget, I was originally hoping to keep things under $100-150. But, if I can get something that would really 'open my ears to a whole new musical journey' for more, and they are reliable & would last a while, I'm willing to go higher. Probably no more than $300 unless a pretty major difference.

Those FiiO ones look pretty intriguing. I think if I were to get IEM-style, I'd want MMCX connectors so I could swap out cables and/or get a Bluetooth option for certain occasions.

- Any more I should check? Any thoughts on the ones I had found?

- How safe is it to assume that most IEM-style earbuds, with a really good seal on the tips. would provide similar sound isolation to others? Are the ones that tout it (like the SE215) just doing so as a marketing thing?

Man, it's looking like there are TONS of different options, just in the IEM style. Not sure how far to push the Amazon return policy in trying so many...

THANIKS AGAIN!

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 21
I'll try to get the triple-flange tips if I can find some that would ship in time (I have to return the SE215 by end of Jan.). I do like my triple-flange musicians earplugs. But would they really make that much of a difference in sound over the Sugru-loaded tips I made?!?

**Triple flange tips by far provide the best isolation in my experience, and also attenuates all frequencies, even low frequencies well. I use the Shure multi-flange tips with the se846 as a stage monitor, while drumming in a fully enclosed cage. I don‘t have to turn the mix up loud at all. These tips do boost the bass frequencies and tame the treble. The isolation is just as good as with the Etymotics.

Regarding budget, I was originally hoping to keep things under $100-150. But, if I can get something that would really 'open my ears to a whole new musical journey' for more, and they are reliable & would last a while, I'm willing to go higher. Probably no more than $300 unless a pretty major difference.

Those FiiO ones look pretty intriguing. I think if I were to get IEM-style, I'd want MMCX connectors so I could swap out cables and/or get a Bluetooth option for certain occasions.

**Actually, I prefer 2 pin sockets more than MMCX, as they seem to be more durable long term, after multiple cable swaps, but of course this is just a personal preference.

- Any more I should check? Any thoughts on the ones I had found?

**I don’t have too many recommendations, since you like a lot of bass, and the bass head IEMs are mostly single dynamic drivers, without great isolation. Most of they IEMs that have excellent isolation, don’t have as much bass. The only one you mentioned that I am personally familiar with is the Etymotic, and they are definitely light in bass compared to the se215.

- How safe is it to assume that most IEM-style earbuds, with a really good seal on the tips. would provide similar sound isolation to others? Are the ones that tout it (like the SE215) just doing so as a marketing thing?

**Not safe at all. The inner design of the IEM plays a huge role in isolation, and the degree of isolation can vary a lot. It’s not just a marketing thing for Shure regarding isolation.

Man, it's looking like there are TONS of different options, just in the IEM style. Not sure how far to push the Amazon return policy in trying so many...

**There really are innumerable options out there now, but I do recommend trying the Shozy Form 1.1 and the FiiO FH3 from Amazon, with their return policy, IF the triple flange tips don’t make the se215 sound ideal for you.

Hope this information helps.

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 21
OK, so I got some triple flange tips for the SE215. They don't seal as well as my 'custom Sugru' molded tips, and probably have the least low end when compared to those or the large foam tips. The large foam tips 'feel' like they're filling my ear up the most, but sonically don't quite sound as good as my Sugru silicon ones (which are also the most comfortable).

After listening to the SE215s again tonight, I do appreciate the clarity in the mids & highs. I'm hearing elements in songs I may have missed in prior listening. I would love to keep this aspect in any new earphones/headphones. But there's just such a huge chunk of the frequency spectrum missing to really enjoy them. Based on how highly they're reviewed, it almost makes me feel like I got a defective pair or have the most unusually shaped ears that don't allow for proper low-end frequency response. I'm not a 'crank the sub to 10' kind of listener - honestly!

Doing some more research on the DT770Ms, which seem to be regarded as some of the most isolating over-ear headphones, I still see lots of comments stating that IEM-style should still offer the best sound isolation. So maybe I should keep focused on that general style.

- Any other ideas for strong sound isolation, but at least 'some' low end? Don't think I want to push Amazon's return policy, so want to try to nail it better on my next purchase.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY TIPS!

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 21
I have a pair of HD 280 Pros and really love them. They have good bass, great imaging and a narrow/intimate soundstage but I wouldn't want to wear them all day every day because they clamp quite a bit on the head. They do isolate better than anything else I've tried of over ears and the sound signature while being quite neutral is also engaging to me, maybe because it feels "intimate".

I haven't tried the DT770Ms but have a pair of DT770s that I use for sound design. They have a peak in the highs that quite a few people find too harsh, and I do too if I've just been listening to other headphones right before. I would definitely try to audition them before buying to see if you like the sound signature.

I've also a pair of SE 215 and I have no issue with the bass but find them slightly veiled, so a quite different impression from you. I still enjoy them on the go mostly for the excellent sound isolation. I'm using them with Comply deep insertion foam tips.

I'm also on the lookout for an upgrade on the SE215s and have been eyeing the iBasso IT00 and Audiosense T800 after reading about them in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-best-passive-isolating-universal-iems-thread.928136/

I'd be interested to hear what you're going for in the end!

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 21
I'm also on the lookout for an upgrade on the SE215s and have been eyeing the iBasso IT00 and Audiosense T800 after reading about them in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-best-passive-isolating-universal-iems-thread.928136/

I like the iBasso IT00. It is bass heavy, and has a warm, natural sound. Good clarity and technicalities as well. The reason I didn’t recommend them earlier, is that they don’t have great sound isolation. Also, be aware that they are notorious for driver flex. I haven‘t heard the T800, but if you like a fun, exciting V-shaped tuning (and it seems like you probably do since you like the DT770), they may be ideal for you. They also provide excellent isolation. Top notch, like the Shures can. One other IEM I should mention is the KZ BA10. It is also an all-BA IEM, with a fun V-shaped tuning, and while it isn’t the most natural sounding (due to being inexpensive BAs), it does have a very pleasant overall sound IMHO. You can usually find it for less than $50. It has an odd shape, but I find that they fit me well, and comfortably. Isolation is also quite good with the BA10.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 21
I like the iBasso IT00. It is bass heavy, and has a warm, natural sound. Good clarity and technicalities as well. The reason I didn’t recommend them earlier, is that they don’t have great sound isolation. Also, be aware that they are notorious for driver flex. I haven‘t heard the T800, but if you like a fun, exciting V-shaped tuning (and it seems like you probably do since you like the DT770), they may be ideal for you. They also provide excellent isolation. Top notch, like the Shures can. One other IEM I should mention is the KZ BA10. It is also an all-BA IEM, with a fun V-shaped tuning, and while it isn’t the most natural sounding (due to being inexpensive BAs), it does have a very pleasant overall sound IMHO. You can usually find it for less than $50. It has an odd shape, but I find that they fit me well, and comfortably. Isolation is also quite good with the BA10.

That's interesting. Does the IT00s not isolate well or just not great like the Shures? I saw in your profile that you have the flagship SE846 as well - do you use them much?

Yea, I've found over the years that I'm not a huge fan of the beyer sounds for music, but it works good when I'm working with sounddesign to hear details. If I want to turn them up and just enjoy music then I find them too sharp. The KZ BA10 look funky man, wow. And pretty cheap too. I'll read up on them.

I'm gonna make my own post later where I go into specififics (instead of hijacking this one), I'd love to get your input then :)

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 21
That's interesting. Does the IT00s not isolate well or just not great like the Shures? I saw in your profile that you have the flagship SE846 as well - do you use them much?

Yea, I've found over the years that I'm not a huge fan of the beyer sounds for music, but it works good when I'm working with sounddesign to hear details. If I want to turn them up and just enjoy music then I find them too sharp. The KZ BA10 look funky man, wow. And pretty cheap too. I'll read up on them.

I'm gonna make my own post later where I go into specififics (instead of hijacking this one), I'd love to get your input then :)
Since this thread is about isolation....
The IT00 isolates on the lower end of normal, whereas I think the Shures (I can only personally speak for the se846), and probably the T800 isolates well above average, in line with the best passive isolating IEMs there are. I use my se846 primarily as a stage monitor. I use the triple flange tips, and it isolates better than almost all other IEMs I’ve tried, including my CIEM. Only the Etymotics isolate just as well. I would listen to the se846 a lot more if I didn’t have so many other IEMs to listen too. They are very enjoyable. The only thing they lack is upper treble response.
The previously mentioned Shozy Form 1.1 and FiiO FH3 isolate at the upper end of normal, with plenty of isolation for being in crowds, at least with foam ear tips.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 21
I have a pair of HD 280 Pros and really love them. They have good bass, great imaging and a narrow/intimate soundstage but I wouldn't want to wear them all day every day because they clamp quite a bit on the head. They do isolate better than anything else I've tried of over ears and the sound signature while being quite neutral is also engaging to me, maybe because it feels "intimate".

I haven't tried the DT770Ms but have a pair of DT770s that I use for sound design. They have a peak in the highs that quite a few people find too harsh, and I do too if I've just been listening to other headphones right before. I would definitely try to audition them before buying to see if you like the sound signature.

I've also a pair of SE 215 and I have no issue with the bass but find them slightly veiled, so a quite different impression from you. I still enjoy them on the go mostly for the excellent sound isolation. I'm using them with Comply deep insertion foam tips.

Thanks for the additional responses! I'll have to spend more time going through that other thread you linked, as my head started spinning after a page or two...

-- I'm really curious as to whether you notice a big difference in sound isolation, especially mids/highs that might be more of an office setting, between your HD 280s and the SE215s??

I'll have to find an audio source of 'office noise' to start testing with, as I've been working from home the last few weeks, which is pretty quiet. I did do a quick test on my deck next to my neighbors obnoxiously noisy A/C unit (it has a messed up compressor). It's more low frequency noise, but the messed up compressor has a more mid/upper-mid frequency 'buzz'. With no music playing, the SE215s didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. My TV-watching over-the-ear headphones (Avantree Aria Me) actually blocked out way more, even without them turned on on to use their ANC (which is more like a high-pass filter, leaving most of the buzz). My experience with the SE215s sure seems different from most reviews...

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for the additional responses! I'll have to spend more time going through that other thread you linked, as my head started spinning after a page or two...

-- I'm really curious as to whether you notice a big difference in sound isolation, especially mids/highs that might be more of an office setting, between your HD 280s and the SE215s??

I'll have to find an audio source of 'office noise' to start testing with, as I've been working from home the last few weeks, which is pretty quiet. I did do a quick test on my deck next to my neighbors obnoxiously noisy A/C unit (it has a messed up compressor). It's more low frequency noise, but the messed up compressor has a more mid/upper-mid frequency 'buzz'. With no music playing, the SE215s didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. My TV-watching over-the-ear headphones (Avantree Aria Me) actually blocked out way more, even without them turned on on to use their ANC (which is more like a high-pass filter, leaving most of the buzz). My experience with the SE215s sure seems different from most reviews...
For your purposes, maybe you do need ANC headphones or ANC IEMs for adequate noise isolation.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 21

The SE215 blocks more sound uniformly across the spectrum, but that's also with 16mm long deep insertion T-Series Comply foam tips. Really recommend those tips.

To get the real isolation effect from the headphones you do need to be playing music through them. Our ears adapt to our environment and will start listening for hidden noises when everything is dampened. That's just how our hearing works. If you ever get the chance to visit an anechoic chamber then after a little while you will hear your heartbeat and then a high pitched buzzing that is actually your nervous system and it will seem "loud". When you put on music in the IEMs, even at a pretty low volume your hearing will tune in on that and sort of heighten its noise-floor making outside noises less noticeable.

I'm kinda suspecting that you're not inserting the SE215s correctly or not using good tips since your experience differs so much. You should get around the same type of isolation as some decent hearing protection foamplugs.

The HD 280 Pros give a very different experience. They block out a lot but less than the SE215 in the mids/highs that you are after. The 280s also create a different more "unnatural" kind of vacuum when wearing them without any sound and there's quite a lot of microphonics from the unnecessarily thick cable. I initially bought them to use in an art project where I specifically needed passive isolating over ears but now I'm buying an extra personal pair that I will modify with a new cable just because they sound so engaging that I keep rediscovering (especially electronic) music with them. It's a very fun and intimate headset for me.

As IEMusic says maybe ANC is the way to go for you as it does an especially good job with blocking static/droney sounds.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 21
The SE215 blocks more sound uniformly across the spectrum, but that's also with 16mm long deep insertion T-Series Comply foam tips. Really recommend those tips.

Are these the tips you are referring to: Comply T-100 Isolation Plus ?

Do you think these would make a sizable difference over the foam tips that Shure includes? I still have a week or so left to trial these, so could try those tips to be SURE I have best seal. Don't want to keep buying tips for a pair I'll likely return, though, if I don't have to.

As IEMusic says maybe ANC is the way to go for you as it does an especially good job with blocking static/droney sounds.

Just to be clear, the example with the loud A/C unit is NOT my typical environment. It was just a loud source of noise that I was curious to see the difference on sound isolation with while I'm working in a very quiet home setting at the moment. The typical usage for this will be around voices in an echoey, loud office (all hard surfaces), people whistling, tapping on desks, etc. From my understanding, ANC doesn't handle these type of sounds very well.

The more I learn & research, I'm really hoping I can get some very good sounding earphones/headphones to start really opening up my listening experience more than I have. I've just never worn headphones much, so a lot to learn about preference, fit, seal, etc. The main reason sound isolation is critical is so I don't end up turning up the music more to cover the external sounds, as I definitely don't need further hearing damage with long hours of listening. I have fairly significant tinnitus 100% of the time as it is...

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 21
Are these the tips you are referring to: Comply T-100 Isolation Plus ?

Do you think these would make a sizable difference over the foam tips that Shure includes?

I use Comply P-Series (P not T as I wrote earlier). I prefer them over the stock tips and find that they isolate more, but the difference is not night and day.

I did try every one of the 6 included tips (3 foam, 3 silicon). Some were better than others, but none made it sound 'full' unless I put pressure with my fingers on the outside of the earphones

Again, I'm suspecting that you might not be inserting them deep enough in your ears or that the tips are maybe not fitted all the way properly onto the stem. It's especially telling if the sound is good for you when you force them a bit deeper by pushing them when they're already in. Try this with the foam tips: squeeze-roll the tip of the right earpiece to make it smaller with your right hand. Then use your left hand to grab and pull the top of your right ear upwards, put the earpiece in, turn it until the fit is deep and let go and let the foam expand. Do the same on the other side. This technique straightens out the ear canal which makes it easier to fit foam tips.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 21
Again, I'm suspecting that you might not be inserting them deep enough in your ears or that the tips are maybe not fitted all the way properly onto the stem. It's especially telling if the sound is good for you when you force them a bit deeper by pushing them when they're already in. Try this with the foam tips: squeeze-roll the tip of the right earpiece to make it smaller with your right hand. Then use your left hand to grab and pull the top of your right ear upwards, put the earpiece in, turn it until the fit is deep and let go and let the foam expand. Do the same on the other side. This technique straightens out the ear canal which makes it easier to fit foam tips.

OK, so I tried again following your instructions. I put the large Shure foam tips on, rolled them up REAL tight, then yanked my ear down and shoved those guys in as far as I could. My ear shape and/or the the design of the earbud shell would prevent them from going in any further.

And... hey. The bass player rejoined the band! They finally started sounding like 'full-range' earphones. Now, they definitely didn't have really big, full bass. But at least it was something. And, I could definitely still put a bit of pressure, either by pushing them down or in, to get more bass you can 'feel' a bit. So maybe either my ear shape doesn't allow them to go in deep enough or create enough physical contact with my ears to fully generate bass, or I need the longer tips you are mentioning (but at $20 a set, I'd need to get at least medium & large to determine my best size - so $40 JUST to test).

UNFORTUNATELY, those foam tips put some SERIOUS pressure on my ears! After just a couple minutes sampling a song or two, I had to pull them out. And my ears could feel it. I can't imagine having them in for extended periods like this unless I got dramatically more used to them, or the longer tips allowed a smaller diameter to work as well. I also wonder now about trying the Sugru-filled option with the large silicone tips rather than the mediums I used. But I already had to purchase a set of 10 medium tips just to include an original pair if I choose to return these earphones.

--------------------------

- Anyone have any opinions or experience with the Mackie MP-240s?

They 'state' up to 40db isolation, and have a dual-driver setup with a dynamic driver for bass and a Knowles BA for mids & highs. The few reviews I've found tend to be pretty good, and mention really good bass. They're 3x the price of the SE215s, though, so they'd have to sound better and/or be more forgiving or comfortable with the tips.

Here's a thread that didn't get too far but was rating sound isolation on IEMs, with the Mackie's being in the 'Excellent' category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back