Sound from 2 sources?
Jul 7, 2015 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kazd

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone i have a small question is their some way or device that would allow me to take sound from 2 sources and output it to 1 pair of headphones? I usually use let say a ps3  and listen to my music from my computer.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Something like this might do the trick:
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX122

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Something like this might do the trick:
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX122
It is possible to play from two sources at the same time, and this is the kind of thing you would need.

I don't have any personal experience with mixers, so I don't know if there is a cheaper option.

Of course, if you were playing on PC, you wouldn't need the mixer! /lol

Side question, can the PS4 and/or XBOne play music while running a game? Seems like an easy/obvious feature for a modern console...

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 10
It is possible to play from two sources at the same time, and this is the kind of thing you would need.

I don't have any personal experience with mixers, so I don't know if there is a cheaper option.

Side question, can the PS4 and/or XBOne play music while running a game? Seems like an easy/obvious feature for a modern console...

That thing basically takes multiple mono/stereo inputs and feeds them into the same output. With a bit of electronics know-how one could probably make a simple 2 input mixer for pennies, but I ain't that guy :frowning2:

I had the same thought with the PC; so nice to be able to l337h4xor everything ^_^

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 10
I do this, and i have 2 ways to do it. 

First way is to make one of these, http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-18-Stereo-Mixer/ 
This works, but you have no volume control from a source like a PS3.

The second way is if your computer onboard/sound card supports it, feed the multi AV line with L and R RCA outputs into the line in on your mobo, then set up stereo mix in the sound control panel. My basic Realtek soundcard built into my mobo can do this once i got the drivers. Then just set up multi audio output on the PS3.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 10

seeing as how the xbox 360 was able to do this one would think the xbox one would be able to as well but it is inexplicably missing this feature.

I don't own a Playstation so i cannot comment on how it works.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 10
I do this, and i have 2 ways to do it. 

First way is to make one of these, http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-18-Stereo-Mixer/ 
This works, but you have no volume control from a source like a PS3.

The second way is if your computer onboard/sound card supports it, feed the multi AV line with L and R RCA outputs into the line in on your mobo, then set up stereo mix in the sound control panel. My basic Realtek soundcard built into my mobo can do this once i got the drivers. Then just set up multi audio output on the PS3.
Looks like Instructibles has some passive options with separate volume controls. I would prefer trying one of those if going the DIY route. It might cost a bit more, but the long term gain is probably better.

Also, I did some digging, and Monoprice has some options. These are obviously geared more towards the pro market and are a bit expensive, but they should also get the job done.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 10
The cheapest Behringer mixers are probably $40-50. There's a tiny $30 one but it only takes mono 1/4".

Also look up "DJ Mixers", which are similar but have a typically different config and are usually only meant for 2 sources. You can probably find a used one cheap on craigslist since wannabe DJ's cycle through budget gear very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back