Sound engineers: Closed headphone alternatives?
Feb 7, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious of hearing what headphones my fellow sound engineers use (if any here). The choice is usually between the Beyer DT770M or the AKG K271 studio headphones. I've preferred the 770 due to it's great isolation (I don't work in a studio, I am a sound engineer for a concert venue) but I am wondering if there are any other suggestions?

Basically any closed headphone I suppose is good for behind the mixer, but still it would be cool if anyone here got any experiences they want to share.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 9
I imagine HP3000s would be really wonderful for mixing.
biggrin.gif
Of course that isnt exactly cheap.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't mix much anymore (on stage mostly), but when I did, I got used to those phones that were build around shooting range phones. The isolation was amazing. I used to even be able to make pretty good board recording from a couple of extra aux sends with them whilst mixing a really loud show. (I was't mixing loud, the band was playing loud.)

I can't find the link though. I bought them off Ebay. I remember seing the ad in Mix magazine a while back. Id recommend having a pair of those around.

I don't know what id use today....

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Here's a company that's doing the same thing. Mine were made from the dark red sort of squared off rifle range phones, but these would probably have more room for a better driver. Mine sounded pretty good too.

http://www.cyberwizardpit.net/reviewseiha.htm

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 9
aka: not at your average live show, it wouldn't be. In a soundproofed studio, yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check out the Ultrasone one in particular, to see what sort of impact that may have on the sound.

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter
Here's a company that's doing the same thing. Mine were made from the dark red sort of squared off rifle range phones, but these would probably have more room for a better driver. Mine sounded pretty good too.

http://www.cyberwizardpit.net/reviewseiha.htm

Those are North (I think is the mfr.) Thunder 29 hearing protectors I use at the gun range. I have several pairs and they are great for hearing protection. 29 db of noise reduction. Wonder who's driver they stick in there. Would not take much to get loud. There is no where for the sound to go. These seal like to old Koss Pro 4aa headphones. Could get a little sweaty.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 9
Yea, so they're basically be like wearing IEM's but you could take them off and on more easily. Which is something you have to do constantly while mixing live if you've got a lot of inputs going at once. One thing you really can't do is the "one ear trick" where you just hold one ear up to your. But I never really did that anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back