Sound Engineering courses (off topic)
Oct 29, 2001 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Hi All,

Since many of you seem to know quite a bit about cans, i was wondering if any of you may have some info regarding take courses for sound engineering. I live in New York, what schools would i contact regarding this career? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

George

Oct 31, 2001 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks buddy!

George

Nov 1, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 12
I was a college student once...even took a course or two...on, in particular, that was interesting, was "The Physics of Sound" -- being a musician, and a Physics major, this intrigued me, so I took it. Learned a lot of things, like the difficulty of pinpointing a low frequency source vs. a high frequency one, etc. Most of it was repeat stuff, but it was nice, like a good transmission line speaker, to have the gaps filled.

During the lab portion of the course, one of the labs required that we play with a mini-moog. All of us. I think each of us had one. Either that or two of us shared.

During another part of the class (a demo), the teacher (bravely) demonstrated both how and why helium raises your voice, and another one lowers it (it's a gas that's heavier than air, and therefore is dangerous to inhale, because it can get stuck in your lungs).

I think he sings lead for deathRapture now. j/k...

UMCP. I want to say PHYS 103? 183? I forget, it was a long time ago (80's). Might be available through American University. Might not be available at all. At least, not with the Mini-moogs.

Great course. Definitely right up the alley of what you're asking for.

Nov 1, 2001 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 12
transmission line speakers and a mini-moog!! that sounds like a damn fun course. i wish my college offered a class like that.

Nov 4, 2001 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 12
Hey DustyChalk.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun in that class! Unfortunately, i live in NYC where the colleges seem to absolutely suck for what i'm looking for (ie working in studios and that sort of thing). Where the heck do i go for courses like that?

George

Nov 4, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 12
I took mine at the University of Maryland, College Park. They even have a web page for it (I guess it's a very popular class).

http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/

102 Physics of Music
103 associated lab

(PS That transmission line reference was just an analogy, we did not actually cover that in class.)

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi Guys, thanks for the great links, especially the sweetwater url, looks like i'm gonna be spending a lot of time there in the future. Dustychalk, thanks for the info! Maryland? Sounds pretty nice compared to whats going on in New York right now.

George

Nov 10, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Maryland? Sounds pretty nice compared to whats going on in New York right now.

I don't know, I live in the death-by-immediate-blast-radius zone of the Pentagon...kinda wishing I lived just about anyplace else than here right now...

Nov 12, 2001 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 12
hmm, dont feel so bad, i live in Brooklyn, i'm sure i fall into your category as well.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back