Sound editing software - specific question
Mar 10, 2003 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
After trying several software packages a few years ago, I selected Diamondcut for my editing/remastering work (mostly 78s and old low quality tapes).

I have a big project where I need to edit out snipets of 40 - 70 minute files. Diamondcut churns forever when you cut (or paste) toward the beginning of a long file. It seems to bump up/back the remainder of the file by recopying everything. (Breaking up the files is a partial solution, but there are reasons why I don't want to do that.)

Can anyone recommend a program that allows quick and easy cut and paste of wav files without waiting for minutes after each cut? I don't care about any other features. Obviously cheaper (or highly reliable shareware) is best.

Thanks

Mar 11, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 6
I use Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge, though it is not cheap; they do offer a budget version though. I don't work much with files that long. With Sound Forge, it does take some time to load a really long file, and cutting from the beginning of a long file takes some time (if enable undo)...what the hell am I talking about?

Anyway, what are your computer specs? Sounds like a processor upgrade might be cheaper than buying expensive software. Cool edit Pro is a cheaper audio editor.

Mar 12, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 6
one of the reasons why your software takes a long time is cause it's creating an undo copy while doing the actual processing. if you don't care about undo, turn it off and it will go 2x as fast. and yes, it pretty much copies the whole darn thing and shifts it over. sound forge works the same way.

.....but like sohcahtoa, i also recommend Sound Forge if you're using PC. there's nothing better that i'm aware of for 2-track. there are other higher-end packages though for multi-track. most famous is Digidesign Protools... but that's pretty much out of anyone's price range. next down there's Nuendo and Samplitude. all three are multi-track, though their mastering capabilities would still be on par with Sound Forge, and better in some ways. those three are the main ones used for digital recording by pros.... at least with PC's. (there is more software for Mac.)

then you get into composition all-on-one softwares like Cakewalk Sonar and Cubase SX... both of which also have impressive audio-editing features and looping. for PC, these 2 are the most used for composition. i personally use Sonar cause it's easy to use.

but anyway.... if you're looking for good mastering software, Sound Forge is the best under $1000.... it has many useful features. and if you aren't into mastering techniques..... their normalize function is hard to beat--it even compresses/limits for you. easy to get pro results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back