Sound editing programs close to Tempe, Arizona?
Dec 1, 2015 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello Arizona Head-Fiers, I am considering going to school for a degree in sound editing and I am moving to Tempe coming up soon. Does anybody know of a program that I could enroll into that is close to Tempe? Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Check out the Audio Production Technologies Certificate and Associates Degrees from Mesa Community College.  I completed my degree in Audio Production last semester.  They also have a track in Sound Design.  The gear that you get to use is phenomenal and some of it one of a kind!  Go talk to Kieth Heffner or visit the site for more information.  You should be able to sit in on a class or two to see if it's something you would like.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 7
I would rather enroll in an in-person program, but are there any decent online programs? Can sound editing even be taught well over the internet? Or is that something that you really have to teach in person? I'm trying to compile all of my options.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Sound editing programs pretty much require you to have hands on experience.  You can learn all the lingo and theories but those mean nothing when you have to make a correction or fix something on the fly.  A lot of the learning comes from using the equipment until it becomes second nature.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Berklee and Full Sail are fairly popular schools that offer online audio production certificates and/or degrees.

But I do agree that the MCC program might be worth checking out. I have a wheelchair-bound friend who took a few of the audio production classes there. One of the teachers rigged up some sort of electronic instrument that was playable by moving the wheelchair around. I thought that showed a pretty amazing dedication to the students.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi, check East Valley Institute of Technology also.  My stepson is involved in radio there; maybe they have something relevant.  I have visited the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences campus in Gilbert and it is impressive; they also have a site at Broadway and Price Road.  Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back