sound difference factors
Oct 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

luckyseventh

New Head-Fier
alright, so i've got a project about how different factors in headphones may affect the end sound, and how they do so. i currently have the construction and housing materials, the technology behind it (electrostat, planar, ortho, etc), and a mention of the amp/dac/source. anything i might be missing?

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 7
(I don't like PMs because nobody else can see it / comment on it then.)

A random thought on material choice:

Drivers have to be mounted rigidly, else the driver itself will move back/forward opposed to the movement of the diaphragm effectively reducing e.g. bass output and increasing distortion. A rattling cup may even be perceived as noise.

This is imho one of the main reasons we see so much hard plastic, and that plastic is cheap, easy to mold etc.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 7
A problem however is when the headphone is a closed construction and the whole cup is made of hard plastic without additional materials. Rigid means reflections, so at high frequencies there usually will be some ringing at certain frequencies which show up in CSD (waterfall) plots.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 7
The tension and thickness of the e-stat diaphragm can be important.

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 7
There are so many different kinds of resonances.

The ear canal itself has a resonance around 3 kHz. There's the Helmholtz resonance of the concha due to its own cavity volume. The headphone drivers have resonant frequencies, usually making the diaphragm more rigid lowers the resonant frequency but it depends on the whole construction.

Take a look at this simple cavity resonance calculator:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/coke2.html#c4

You can also find many tables like this on the internet:
http://www.sae.edu/reference_material/pages/Coefficient%20Chart.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back