Sound coming from headphones even if the amp is turned off
Jun 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
Ok......i just noticed something weird today. Nothing is really wrong, but I'm just curious to see if this is normal or not.

I was  watching an old 90's film today, but the sound had horrible rendering and i actually had to turn the amp's knob to full volume to hear what was actually going on. Basically, after that i turned the amp off, but still had my dt990 headphones on my head for no apparent reason. A few min later, someone sent me an IM from yahoo messenger, and as bewildering as it sounds, I actually heard the tone !

Then i played everything i could find(with the little dot amp still being turned off) and i was able to hear anything being played; but at extremely low-level listening levels. If i turned the knob to the 12' o clock position, nothing could be distinguised or heard, but max volume on the knob /with the amp still being turned off, any person with a decent set of ears would have no trouble picking up the signal. So I'm wondering head-fi, is there abnormal/supernatural/twilight zone type behavior going on?
biggrin.gif
or is there nothing to worry about?

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Sound signals can travel through power lines throughout your entire house.  Not overly common, but it happens.  Was everything running off of the same circuit breaker?  If so, I'd think that was the cause.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 4
I've heard it's happened with a Meier Concerto before, too many big caps inside I understand....

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Headphone amplifier haunting is rare, but not unheard of.  More than likely the TV contains the trapped soul, which commonly haunt 90's films.  I suggest you get your TV exorcised, a simple prayer for your headamp should suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back