Sound check!
Oct 14, 2006 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
Lately I think I've been getting a bit wrapped up in gear, now I'm looking at expensive amps and new source components to which a friend questioned wether its all really worth it.

Although my initial reply was a Head-Fi style resounding "YES!", it did get me thinking wether or not we all appreciate how good we have it. Not only are we a fraction of the top 1% of all personal music listening, even our crazy high end rigs aren't enough, and according to recent polls most people aren't, or will never be satisfied till they've heard everything.

In this spirit I decided to go on a back-to-lo-fi night, where I put away the DT990s, the Echo DJ and my borrowed pimetta. I was throwing away some old consumer electronic documentation/packagin and I found my first tool, "PNY" stereo earbuds. They are gold plated and therefore MUST be good right!?
tongue.gif

The idea is to force myself to listen for them as long as possible, or until i go insane, which at this point is a tough call. My ears hurt from the beyond-poor fit, they are abnormally loud to overcome the background noise and, well I'd get into the sound signature but it would depress you. I have a pretty severe headache and my mind is racing, envisioning ways of reducing these buds to rubble!
blink.gif

Anyways...this has been the longest 5 songs ever, so I'm gonna either go shove a pressure washer down my ears or get my beyers out.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 6
LoL!

I just tried the earbuds that came with my Creative muvo tx player. Played some very low production quality blackmetal. It was hell with earbuds! I managed to listen only one song before my ears screamed for help. (really, im not exaggerating! sound was so piercing!) Switched back to SR225 and ZOMG! Again heaven in hellish music.
biggrin.gif
Bass was again right, details were there and layered guitars were in their correct place.

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 6
I recently listened to some old pairs of AIWA earbuds (to use with my PCDP - my main cans stay at home). Quite contrary to your experience, I thought the earbuds were okay. Fit is fine and sound is surprisingly balanced (nothing offensive to it). If there is one glaring shortcoming, it is lack of oomph in the lower registers, making it sound downright flat/lacking in body. Nothing an EQ can't fix but let's not open another can of worms.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I recently listened to some old pairs of AIWA earbuds (to use with my PCDP - my main cans stay at home). Quite contrary to your experience, I thought the earbuds were okay. Fit is fine and sound is surprisingly balanced (nothing offensive to it). If there is one glaring shortcoming, it is lack of oomph in the lower registers, making it sound downright flat/lacking in body. Nothing an EQ can't fix but let's not open another can of worms.
wink.gif

Perhaps your earbuds are simply good. Mine were horrible believe me! I used to have some philips earbuds that came with my expanium cd/mp3 player and they were decent. Very listenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back