Sound card?
Dec 24, 2011 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jontaz23

New Head-Fier
Hey guys
icon_smile.gif

So basically as a Christmas present to myself I am buying a pair of Q 701's. I posted here before about what amp to match with these. So I've decided to go for an Fiio E7 + E9 combo. But I'm wondering if simply buying a sound card would produce the same effect and be able to power them?
icon_smile.gif
I was looking at this sound card

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=10940

Thank you for your time

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 27

Quote:
Hey guys
icon_smile.gif

So basically as a Christmas present to myself I am buying a pair of Q 701's. I posted here before about what amp to match with these. So I've decided to go for an Fiio E7 + E9 combo. But I'm wondering if simply buying a sound card would produce the same effect and be able to power them?
icon_smile.gif
I was looking at this sound card

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=10940

Thank you for your time

I would get the E7+E9 over any soundcard.

But I would suggest perhaps considering this instead (NFB-12).

Very best,

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 27
Arghhh two complete different answer :p Yeah you linked that last time, however I'm just sure about that amp, as it doesn't have a DAC I don't think, correct me if wrong. And sound card wouldn't take up room on my desk like the amp would :p Hearing that it performs better than the fiio pair puts my mind at ease :)

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 27
Anecdotal experiences are funny things, though I don't even have that to go by when it comes to the Xonar Essence STX, just mentioning a fairly popular opinion on Head-Fi. (My sound cards are all X-Fi based for the next point I'm about to mention.)

Also note that if you're into gaming at all (something the Q701 should excel at), sound cards have DSP features not found on audiophile DACs. The ideal solution there would be to get a cheap sound card and use it to feed an audiophile DAC over S/PDIF, but it'll be on the expensive side, at least $260 if you were to use the aforementioned NFB-12. Otherwise, you could just use USB or your motherboard's integrated S/PDIF output, if present. A Xonar Essence STX, on the other hand, is closer to $150-160 if you shop around.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 27
Jontaz23
If you want to watch movies or do surround sound gaming then get a sound card.
You all your into is music (stereo 2.0 channel) the an external DAC/headphone amplifier would work.
a Fiio E10 (external USB/DAC/Amp) would do the job.

The AKG Q701s are only 62-Ohms.

Even a Asus Xonar DG sound card would do a halfway decent job.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 27
The amplifier on the Xonar Essence STX has similar basic specs to the FiiO E9 (~7 Volts RMS maximum output voltage, ~10 Ohm impedance), and in fact both of these use TI 6120 chips as the headphone amplifier, probably with +/- 12V supply voltage. However, the DAC on the Xonar STX is arguably better than that of the FiiO E7, and also has more features (e.g. sample rate up to 192 kHz, and resolution up to 24 bits; you might not have source material that takes advantage of these, but the extra resolution can be useful when using equalization). Also, I am not sure if the E7 can capture audio, or only play (you may not care about that, though). Overall, in my opinion the STX is better value than the E7+E9 combination, at least as far as audio performance and features are concerned; obviously, the external devices have their own advantages like being able to use a headphone amplifier without a desktop PC.

By the way, the AKG headphones may have low impedance, but they are in fact not that easy to drive, because the efficiency is low.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 27
It is a very solid value. The only real downside that I see is that you don't have the isolation to the potential grounding issues within the computer case itself and you don't have the E7 to power low impedance headphones and don't have the E7 for a portable option. 

Quote:
The amplifier on the Xonar Essence STX has similar basic specs to the FiiO E9 (~7 Volts RMS maximum output voltage, ~10 Ohm impedance), and in fact both of these use TI 6120 chips as the headphone amplifier, probably with +/- 12V supply voltage. However, the DAC on the Xonar STX is arguably better than that of the FiiO E7, and also has more features (e.g. sample rate up to 192 kHz, and resolution up to 24 bits; you might not have source material that takes advantage of these, but the extra resolution can be useful when using equalization). Also, I am not sure if the E7 can capture audio, or only play (you may not care about that, though). Overall, in my opinion the STX is better value than the E7+E9 combination, at least as far as audio performance and features are concerned; obviously, the external devices have their own advantages like being able to use a headphone amplifier without a desktop PC.

By the way, the AKG headphones may have low impedance, but they are in fact not that easy to drive, because the efficiency is low.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 27
Really? Does the E7+E9 go together to make a super-dac? Over any sound card at all?

Quote:
I would get the E7+E9 over any soundcard.

But I would suggest perhaps considering this instead (NFB-12).

Very best,

The STX should be fine. My Xonar DG does my D2k justice.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 27
Yeah the Xonar is just easier to get where I live so thought if it would do the job and possibly be as good or if not better than the fiio E7 + E9 I'd go with it. I game a lot on my pc lately so glad to hear the phones should be good :)

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 27
For gaming definitely go the STX route. Dolby headphone is pretty cool. Also look into X-Fi titanium HD. It has CMSS-3D which is like dolby headphone but performs better in games. The X-Fi also has an amp.

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
For gaming definitely go the STX route. Dolby headphone is pretty cool. Also look into X-Fi titanium HD. It has CMSS-3D which is like dolby headphone but performs better in games. The X-Fi also has an amp.

The Creative X-Fi Go! also has CMSS3D. If you wanted another option other than the E7+E9 and the Essence STX, consider a Creative X-Fi Go! USB DAC along side an amp like the O2 amp from JDSLabs (shiped Jan 6th, $144). The amp portion would have a lower output impedance and overall be better than the Essence STX, but we could quibble on the DAC of the Essence STX vs. the X-Fi Go! DAC. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 27
Measured well in terms of distortion, noise floor was a bit high but manageable if you keep your volume on the digital level kept at a high level and handle the volume at the amp level, jitter was relatively quality.

It wouldn't surprise me if the DAC portion of the X-Fi Go! compared very well against the Xonar Essense STX's DAC. From a pure hardware perspective, the Xonar Essense STX's PCM1792A DAC is most likely superior, but I would call this a wash because of the high output impedance of the amp, which shoehorns you into higher impedance headphones unless you want coloration of the frequency response (and the crossovers in multiple driver IEMs to be messed up by this impedance) and the location inside the computer, making it susceptible to potential distortion from grounding issues (this is why desktop front audio ports tend to be hissy -- they're not well separated from this electrical interference from inside the computer). 

Edit: Having a good external amp like the O2 will also allow for further source upgrades to happen at a later date, if the OP so pleased. You can't internally upgrade the STX's other source components without scrapping the entire card.

Quote:
The X-Fi go looks like a piece of ****.

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 27
I have both the STX and Q701s. They work excellent together. Well enough to cause blissful hearing damage.

Edit for proof:
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6474/img20111224185233.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back